We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

Hello,

So myself (Female, 21) and my partner (male, 21) will be visiting Turkey for the first time in September 2014.

At the moment I am captivated by the apparent "cheapness" compared to Perth, Australia and am becoming more and more interested in the food and the culture.

I would begin in Istanbul and spend 3 nights here. No Idea where yet though.

Then I would like to visit Cappadocia, I am very intrigued by the cave hotels, the under ground city and the entire landscape that surrounds this area. I would ideally also spend 3-4nights here.

From reading tours available, I like the idea of the Treehouses of Olympos and so this would be my next stop, but is it really nothing special. I am currently only going there for the treehouses but is my money better elsewhere?

I am always going to be captivated by the unusual (Unusual for an Australian girl that lives in the city).

As unpatriotic as this sounds... I am not interested in Gallipoli.

Also, is Butterfly Valley worth the trip, I have read the bad reviews on here but Im not expecting butterflies just an amazing landscape and beach, with really simple amentities.

Thanks,

Lucinda.

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

Please ignore incorrect spelling of Itinerary. :)

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

<<<From reading tours available, I like the idea of the Treehouses of Olympos and so this would be my next stop, but is it really nothing special. I am currently only going there for the treehouses but is my money better elsewhere?<<

Please make sure that you do your research in the difference between Olympos and the neighboring village of Cirali..both share the same beach

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…cirali.html

PS...There are always many mix-ups between the village of Cirali and the village ( valley ) of Olympos. Here's a bit of clarification on the subject.

Cirali / Olympos is located approx. 80km southwest from Antalya. It is quiet and peaceful village perfect for families, nature lovers and for those wishing to get away from the mass touristic cities or towns.

First the beach of Olympos ( located in the village of Cirali ) is shared by both villages. There are two entrances to these villages located on the main highway between Antalya -Fethiye.

One entrance (Cirali) will bring you down into the village of after 7kms. Here you can reach the beach by car, mini-bus or by foot. Once on the beach ( 4kms long -secluded - clean ) you can walk into the entrance of the ancient city of Olympos visiting the ruins located on either side of the creek.

The second entrance on the main highway from Antalya is the entrance to the village of Olympos ( 12 kms from the main highway ), Cavus Koy, and Adrasan. Here in this village are more accomodations with treehouses, bugalows, pansiyons and small hotels as well.

Olympos is very famous for the '' treehouses'' and offers a bit of a different lifestyle that Cirali It tends to cater to more younger crowd or students including backpackers and budget accomodations. In Olympos there are more bars and discos where as Cirali caters to a quieter crowd with only a few local bars playing live turkish music.

To reach the beach from Olympos village one must walk through the ancient city of Olympos. Depending on where one is staying the walk to the beach can be a few minutes up to longer ranging from 800m - 3 or 4 kms. Staying in Olympos village to visit the flames at night there are group tours with mini-buses that travel back up to the main highway road ( 12km ) and then after 1 km down into the other entrance (Cirali - another 11kms down ). You can walk if you wish through Olympos and then along the beach for 4kms or more to visit the flames. Don't forget to bring your flashlight as the ancient city has no lights at night.

Olympos revews;

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g311311-Olympos_Tur…

Cirali reviews;

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g311312-Cirali_Turk…

http://turkishtravelblog.com/cirali/

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

<<<but is it really nothing special.<<<

with the Olimpos Roman ruins scattered in a pine forest, a secluded 4km non-touristy beach, fertile fields, and the Chimaera, the world's oldest and best-known natural "eternal flame". Also a natural nesting-ground for carretta carretta (loggerhead turtles).

This is the Chimaera or Yanartaş as it is know in Turkish ..( located in Cirali )...Yanartaş - The mystical flames at the Chimaera. The Chimaera, a series of flames issuing out of cracks in the bare hillside, is one of the most unusual sites in the whole of Lycia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanarta%c5%9f

check out these photos here; http://tinyurl.com/mo7fr6r

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

Wow! Thank you for your detailed response, it is appreciated very much. Olympos has become a must see destination for me now, not just because of the treehouses.

If I bus to Olympos, what are the transport options from there? I know from lonely planet that Bus is the most popular choice of transport in Turkey and is high class and I was told its almost like aeroplane service.

4. Re: First Timer to Turkey, Please Review my rough Itinary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:20