We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Hi all,

I am planning to explore the Aegean part of Turkey during Christmas holidays 2013 for about 7-9 days... I would like to visit Ephesus, Pamukkale, any nice beaches and if possible Cappadocia by public transportation only (I can't drive a car). I am not able to figure out which city I need to make as the base so that I can cover those attractions as a day trip (Izmir, Bodrum etc). So can you please advise?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Izmir is the most obvious one.You can fly into here and there are good bus and rail links for Selçuk and Denizli(for Pamukkale).You can also fly from there to Kayseri for Cappadocia as an alternative to taking the overnight bus.

I wouldn't bother with Bodrum at that time of year,it'll be mostly closed up and sleeping,but you could include Selçuk Ephesus,Prine,Miletus and Didyma to the south,Pamukkale,Aphrodisias and Laodecia inland,Bergama to the North,Tios close by Özdere just south of Izmir before Selçuk.

All this would fill 4 or 5 of your days before going over to Cappadocia for another 2-3 days.

Overnight buses from Izmir and Denizli with Süha Turizm,Metro Turizm and Nevşehirliler Seyahat are regular every night but in the winter flights are not daily so you would need to check up what there is and how it would fit your itinery.Pegasus and Sunexpress cover the route and prices aren't bad at all.

BTW,forget Aegean beaches in December unless you are a masochist :)) much too chilly.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Thanks very much Sarikanarya! It was very useful...

I will make Izmir as the base then... Flight connection between Izmir and Cappadocia seems to be the most time-efficient way to travel but I would like to keep my options open by train or bus etc. Can you please advise where can I look for the bus/train time-tables to reach Cappadocia?

Also are Pegasus, Sunexpress and Atlasjet are the only flight operators in this route and then to Istanbul?

I am not a masochist and wouldn't dare to swim ... :-) but just wanted to spend time in clicking pictures alongside any picturesque breaches!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Pegasus and SunX go Izmir>>Kayseri and then from there to Istanbul Pegasus,Atlasjet and Turkish Airlines.Atlasjet also offer a free airport shuttle from the villages(such as Göreme) to the airport so they are worth looking at!

The 3 bus companies I mentioned above cover the route from both Izmir and Denizli to Cappadocia.Each has an English menu so just type the names into Google to get their web sites up and then click for English.

From Izmir you can take the train to Denizli for Pamukkale(Basmane is the Izmir train station)-

tcdd.gov.tr/Upload/…bassokeayd.pdf

It is possible to go from Izmir to Kayseri via Ankara but this would be a long slow journey and you don't really have the luxury of that much time so stick to plane or bus for that journey.

Logically it would be best to view say,Bergama,Ephesus and the smaller sites I mentioned and then head inland to Pamukkale and then (short)overnight bus to Cappadocia and from there back to Istanbul.

The site of Miletus would offer some great sea view shots but at that time of year no beach will be THAT scenic to be honest.Along the water front in Izmir would offer some good shots as this is a lively,colourful and rejuvenated area these days,from Konak all along Kordon to Göztepe is a really nice walk.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

The OP says " I would like to visit Ephesus, Pamukkale, any nice beaches and if possible Cappadocia..."

The obvious base for Ephesus and any nice beaches is Selcuk rather than the city of Izmir. Selcuk is a proper working town that isn't empty in the winter months. My UK friends have previously always chosen to visit in January, partly for the Camel wrestling and because they don't like the heat of summer.

Selcuk is only 45 minutes from Izmir International airport (ADB).

The difficult part would be including Cappadocia (which will be quite cold then)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

Izmir does however form a(roughly)half way point between Selçuk and Bergama if the OP wishes to go there before touring further south and then going inland.

6. Re: Base city to explore Aegean Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:16