We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August visit help please

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
August visit help please

Hi all,

We are planning our first trip to Turkey. We are looking at arriving August 22 for an 8 or 9 day holiday. I am concerned with my timing for two reasons. First, I understand Turkey will have its' first presidential election in August. I have read of the possibility of political unrest during this time. Would we be wise to look at a different timeframe to visit? Secondly, will the religious holiday in August cause travel issues for us as we plan to travel from Istanbul to Cappadocia?

Thank you

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: August visit help please

any thoughts?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August visit help please

The Presidential elections are not likely to cause so very much hassle unlike the next general election and any protests there may beare usually confined to places like Istanbuls Taksim Square which is a small easily avoided point.

Ramazan Bayram,the 3 days religious holiday is another matter however.

From the 25th and 26th all transport forms will be extremely busy most especially that leaving Istanbul and Ankara,other area's a little less so.

So you need to work out your itinery and see where you'll be and where you intend to go at that point and decide how you'll travel or whether you'll be somewhere you can stay for a few days.

If you need to travel then,depending on which route you need to book travel arrangments well in advance-flights very soon and bus seats as soon as they come online,30 days ahead.

There is no need to change your travel dates but you need to plan a little more carefully.If you post up a tentative itinery I can see where any possible extra care is needed and what you would need to book well in advance etc.

I see you list Istanbul and Cappadocia;are those the only two places you'd visit?I guess so for only 8-9 days.

If possible it would be good to go direct to Cappadocia on arrival in the country and get back into Istanbul by the holiday,that way you will be going in the opposite direction to 80% of the population :)

This depends on flight prices and connection availability of course but it would be a good idea for you.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August visit help please

local elections are scheduled for March followed by the country's first direct presidential election in August and general elections next year.

there are no religious holiday in August this year..

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/turkey/

Saturday Aug 30 Victory Day National holiday

I cannot forsee any problems that would hinder your holidays in August. where are you planning to go ?

Edited: 11 January 2014, 10:20
USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: August visit help please

Itinerary will be something like this. Turkey - Greece, August 22 - Sept 7

Arrive in Istanbul, evening of Aug. 22.

Aug. 23,24,25 in Istanbul.

Aug.26,27,28,29 between Cappadocia and possibly Ephesus with the intention of moving on to Greece from the best logistical place.

thanks so much

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August visit help please

God yeah you're right,it falls at the end of July NOT August.I don't know how I mixed those up!New specs needed I guess....

OP book ahead with no worries.

I'm off to the opticians now.........

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August visit help please

Does the above itinerary make sense?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,387 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August visit help please

coastalfan, Yes it makes sense but I would give 3 days to Cappadocia and 2 days to Selcuk/Ephesus. Have a look at my recent trip report: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5874…". Fly to Athens/Greece from Izmir with a direct flight by Pegasus Airlines.

enigma...

USA
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: August visit help please

enigma,

Your idea would be my perfect trip itinerary. I would really love to visit Ephesus as well. How would the best way to travel from Ephesus to Athens be? Will we still travel to IST to get to ATH. I am seeing some reasonable fares through Turkish Air from Boston to IST - IST to NAV - NAV to ATH - ATH to BOS. Now I need to adjust to fill in Ephesus leg of journey. Thanks for your input on these forums.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August visit help please

If you visit Ephesus as your last place in Turkey you can take the ferry from nearby Kuşadası over to Samos and from there the overnight ferry to Athens.

The alternative is to fly from Izmir back up to Istanbul and fly from there to Athens.

The latter would probably be quicker-depending on flight connections in Istanbul,but the former may work out cheaper.Given all you want to do in a relatively short space of time I think you need to put speed ahead of cost and hopefully ther cost difference won't be too big.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August visit help please

Hi coastalfan - Enigma has mentioned Pegasus Air

www.flypgs.com

In summer months they will fly Izmir to Athens every day at least once. I think 3 or 4 times a week they have a direct flight - 1 hour and currently very cheap. 83 TL ?!

For Ephesus you will want to stay in Selcuk. It may be possible to use the morning train into Izmir airport for that flight to Athens.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 19:59