We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Istanbul, and we'll have 10-11 days. We're debating between spending the most time in Istanbul and stopping at another country on the return trip or checking out a few other places in Turkey. The only problem is most of the places I see that are worth seeing are at least 7+ hours away from Istanbul.

Thoughts?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

Christina F, Some of what you're asking will depend on the time of year that you will plan to be in Turkey. 10-11 days is certainly not too long to spend in Turkey alone. I would suggest 5 days in Istanbul, then Selcuk/Ephesus (maybe on to Pamukkale) 2-3 days, then to Cappadocia 2-3 days. You will not feel rushed with such a plan. Transportation to/from these places by low-cost air carrier or bus. Good luck!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
37 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

Agree with cagcag, you can see Istanbul quite comfortably in 5 days, then perhaps venture out to Bodrum or Antalia for a caostal experience (depending on when you will be visiting). There are your must sees such as the Agia Sophia, Blue Mosque, etc, but you will also love exploring the surrounding areas. Take some time and spend to spend on the Asian side too, its very chic too, moreso than the European side in my opinion. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

Thank you! We'll be traveling from the end of June to early July.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

There's a bit of a circuit most travelers do in Turkey. The circuit can be picked up/left off from wherever and can be done in about 2 weeks. Most people either fly into or out of Istanbul.

ISTANBUL - Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya, Basilica Cistern, Taksim, Topkapi Palace, Golden Horn, Grand Bazaar, Egyptian Spice Market. Stay in the Sultanahmet area – it’s close to everything.

SELCUK - Ephesus, Bascilica of St. John, House of Virgin Mary, Priene-Miletos-Didyma. ( fly to Izmir )

PAMUKKALE

FETHIYE

CIRALI / OLYMPOS – Olympos ruins, 4km beach Chimera Flame.

CAPPADOCCIA - fairy chimneys and underground cities.

back to ISTANBUL.

as you see this is a lot of moving around from place to place..so you will have to pick and choose the places that might interest you the most.

Do you plan to rent a car ?? or use the public bus transportation ?? this will make a bit of a difference as having your own car will give you more freedom...or flying from destination to destination will speed up the travel time between different area.

Certainly the places of Ephesus ( Selcuk ) and Cappadocia are not to be missed and for some time on the historical Lycian Way... check out the areas between Antalya and Fethiye.

check out the useful pages of the Turkey travel planner

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…index.html

If I were doing I would try for 2 weeks if possible if not pick 3 places..Istanbul, Cappadocia and one coastal region Either Izmir or Antalya...and make use of your limited time by flying with internal flights from destination to destination. ( example Istanbul to Izmir - Izmir to Kayseri - Kayseri to Antalya. - Antalya to Istanbul or vice versa.

oranother altermative is Istanbul to kayseri - Kayseri to Antalya..bus along the coast to Izmir fly back from Izmir to Istanbul..try to leave 4/5 nights in Istanbul at the end of your holidays rather than at the beginning..saves time and great for shopping

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

Edited: 12 January 2014, 06:11
5. Re: 10-11 Days in Turkey - What To Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:17