We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey Sailing

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Topic
Turkey Sailing

Can someone recommend a sailing itinerary and company charter?

I’ve spent several hours combing the TA thread for past postings and haven’t seen anything that meets our criteria:

We have 4 people coming from Los Angeles and presumable flying into Istanbul – unless you have a better plan.

One of our team is a history buff and dying to see Gallipoli. My wife wants warm water, snorkeling/diving and pristine beaches. I want tranquility, good food and copious amounts for Syrian wine..

We have 1-2 weeks in late September - early October 2014 to do this trip.

We are not on a budget and are in our mid 50’s.

Please help point us in the right direction and send sailing trip ideas.

Thank you.

~LuckyChucky61

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey Sailing

no posts?????

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey Sailing

Are you looking to charter a crewed yacht or a bareboat? This will be an important factor for your itinerary.It's best to see Gallipolli by land, and then pick up your boat further south for optimal sailing, warm waters and beaches/attractions. Syrian wine is a bit hard to come by in Turkey - if you have some flexibility, there are excellent Turkish wines available. Yes, you are best off arriving into Istanbul and driving/flying onward.

SeafarerMD
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey Sailing

I would separate the sightseeing part of your trip in Istanbul from the sailing and suggest that when you have seen enough, that you take a connecting flight to Dalaman from where there is a great choice of sailing boats for charter in Gocek, Marmaris or Orhaniye, all between 30 minutes and 2 hours road transfer away.

Great sailing from all 3 base ports. You can check out suggested itineraries on the Seafarer site. I would also recommend you consider joining a flotilla for good local knowledge from a lead yacht crew who are there to support and guide you, whilst you sail in the privacy of your own yacht. Perfect for sailing in new destinations and unfamiliar waters.

4. Re: Turkey Sailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 07:17