We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
396 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

We have tentatively planned 15 days in Turkey starting 20 September. On 6 October, we'll ferry from Fethiye to Rhodes. So far it looks like:

3 full days in Istanbul

4 full days in Capadoccia (includes one day to and from Hammusa)

3 days for the Turkish Heritage Travel tour to Nemrut (fly from Gaziantep to Izmir, arrive late, rent car)

3 full days in Selcuk (includes one day to Pergamom, one to Afrodisias)

This takes us to October 4, the first day of the Feast of the Sacrifice. We'd originally thought to fly Izmir to Antalya, rent a car and drive the coast to Fethiye. (This actually looks like 2 days is not enough time.) Would we be better just retaining the car and driving down to Fethiye, seeing Priene, Miletus and Didyma or would those sites also be closed the first day? Or driving the morning to Fethiye and just taking a day for some gentle sightseeing? We will rent a car at the Izmir airport and hope to return it at the Dalaman airport. Is this possible?

We will eventually (late October) return to Istanbul for the final 3 days of our trip.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
396 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

Anyone?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

hi ellasahar,

and welcome to the forums..can you explain your trip a bit better with the total amount of days you plan to spend in turkey and then we can maybe help you a bit better. As you have written above it looks to me that you only have 2 days left at the end of your trip from october 04-october 06th to spend along the coast .

however in another sentence you write " We will eventually (late October) return to Istanbul for the final 3 days of our trip."

so that confuses me

If you are in Selcuk..rent a car when you arrive at the ızmir airport for a week or 10 days..then use it to visit the various sites in and around Selcuk..drive to Pamukkale and stay one night..stopping at afrodisias along the way..then drive to Fethiye for 2 nights.

now you have 2 choices..either continue along the coast towards antalya..( fethiye - Antalya is the lycian coast ) or fly from dalaman airport back to Istanbul.

if you continue along the coast to see the various sites..stop in kas for 1 night and then drive to Cirali for 2 nights and then arrive in Antalya to fly back to Istanbul.

this way to rent the car in Izmir and drop off in Antalya. be advised that their might be a drop off fee taking the car to another destination..or if you rent from the airport companies they often have the same company at the other airport.

the other alternative is forget the car and just take the buses..as they are cheap and plentiful along the coast.

now the last thing to consider is you need to plan your trip around "Feast of the Sacrifice" early as accommodations, long haul buses and flights will get booked up very quick as this is also a time that turkish folks will use the holidays to travel as well.

"KURBAN BAYRAM"

Kurban Bayramı (koor-BAHN bahy-rah-muh) is the most important Islamic religious festival of the year, and a 4 or 5-day public holiday in Turkey. It will affect your travel plans, so be prepared for it.

I would reserve your accommodations well in advance,

I would reserve your accommodations , long haul transportation ( flights, buses etc ) well in advance,

Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day or during th holiday

All banks and government offices will be closed during the holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that business before hand.

at the beginning of the holiday and end transport may be busy as travelers leaving and return home.

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..

As for the amount of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, , and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

I have mapped out a route for you here on goggle maps

http://goo.gl/maps/oLuv2

this can be done with renting a car for more freedom or can be done via public buses

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
396 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

Thank you so much, Canmom. We fly into IST on 20 Sept and ferry out of Fethiye to Rhodes on 6 October. We then continue on through Greece until we arrive back in Istanbul on the morning of 23 October (bus from Thessoloniki). We fly home on Sunday, 26 October. This was originally to be a holiday to Greece but Turkey drew us in. I would gladly spend the entire 5 weeks in Turkey but we are committed to meeting my sister in Athens.

We have two days from the end of our stay in Selcuk to the time we leave for Rhodes. I am afraid that if we fly to Antalya and try to do the Lycian coast in 2 days during the Feast of the Sacrifice we will run into the problems you suggested. Your excellent advice has convinced me we should retain the car we rent in Izmir and drive down to Fethiye. We can day trip to Kas which sounds so beautiful.

You map and itinerary make me want to throw all our plans to the wind but I've already booked some hotels and air. I only hope we can return and do a portion of your suggestions!

Thanks, we will definitely rent the car at the Izmir airport to return in Fethiye.

Again, thanks for your very generous and complete reply.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

Hi ellasahar,

you are most welcome for the advise and enjpy your holidays in Turkey

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

A note for travelling in the month of october..do be advised that the dates of October 03 - October 08th do fall within the turkish national holidays of "KURBAN BAYRAM"

Edited: 26 March 2014, 09:11
5. Re: How to work around the Feast of the Sacrifice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:15