We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much safe Credit Card Details??

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How much safe Credit Card Details??

Hi, I know its unrelated but I am trying to book a hotel, though they have an option to book via a 3rd party website but they are offering to book a 'package' which seems like a good deal however that 3rd party website has no option about it.

I wrote an email to the hotel and they asked my credit card details to do it manually, the website suggest it as well, but my concern is that is it safe sharing details like this? I have only bought online stuff through ebay n amazon.

help is really appreciated

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

<<<though they have an option to book via a 3rd party website but they are offering to book a 'package' which seems like a good deal however that 3rd party website has no option about it.<<

you would have to supply your details to that 3rd party website which in turn would be passed along directly to the hotel so in my opinion there is no difference in supplying the hotel directly with your details.

most but not hotels do work like this and keep your CC details until your arrival as a guarantee..be sure to check if they are charging payment before your arrival or if you pay at the hotel. ( since its a deal maybe the booking is charged before your arrival. )

you can send your details in various ways..fax, call over the phone etc..do they have a reservation form or a mail order form that you have to complete and return ? via fax, or email. ıf it is a form you can send in 2 separte emails for security. for example..send the credit card number in 2 separate simultaneous emails ... the first part of the number will be in the first email and the rest of the number in the second email..

usually Your credit card details are only required as a guarantee for the hotel in case you don't arrive or cancel too late.

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

Thanks for the reply :)

but see here www.istanbulcityguesthouse.com/packages.php

they have the packages but once you move to booking option the booking is only available day-wise. My main concern was if I am caught up in somethign e.g. some worker uses my credit card details for something, how will I be able to be sure none of this happens.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,329 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

Any time you use your credit card, you give the number to someone. Why are you so worried about this particular transaction?

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

Giving credit card details over the net or when you're in another country does worry a lot of people these days with creditcard fraud being 'big business', What Hub and I have done to alleviate our concerns of our card details being used by unauthorised people or 'stolen' is to have a separate credit card with a small credit limit, that isn't attached to our bank accounts, that we use just for travelling. The credit limit is an amount we can 'afford' to lose should our details be stolen and by not being 'attached' to our bank accounts there is no way anyone can access our accounts. Then when we book hotels/tours etc over the internet, using the 'travel' credit card. We have found that this gives us peace of mind when booking over the net and when travelling, and should our card be misused, it's only a small amount that we've lost. Perhaps something similar to this might make you feel a bit more comfortable when needing to book using a credit card. Food for thought :)

Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

Thanks Kezzza thats what I meant, I can manage things in my country are easy for me (being an official myself) but in a country that is far apart and being there for only a week was my concern. Thanks anyways :) really appreciated!!!

6. Re: How much safe Credit Card Details??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 05:17