We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Anatolia - Worth a visit? Not too hot in July?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Western Anatolia - Worth a visit? Not too hot in July?

Hi everybody,

I'm planning a trip around Turkey in July.

I'm still contemplating different options for my itinerary and I'm now focusing my attention on 2 key factors: weather and accessibility. Consider I'm going to travel by bus, I'll be there for around 23 days, I'm arriving in Istanbul and leaving from Ankara.

I've already decided I'm not going to miss a) Cappadocia (3-6 days), b) Pamukkale and around (2-3 days), c) Ephesus and around (3-4 days), d) part of the Lycian coast (Fethiye to Demre) (7 days)

Weather could be extremely hot, accessibility can be difficult, but I'm not going to miss those gems for such reasons.

I'm going to consider those factors instead for the other destinations I'm contemplating: a) Southeast: Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Gobekli Tepe, Nemrut Dag (plus security), b) Western Anatolia (Bursa, Eskisehir, Phrygian Valley, Aizanoi) c) Northern Aegean Coast (Canakkale, Bozcaada, Assos)

How is the weather there normally? I checked many sites but the opinions are very different.

Can i have your opinion on those 2 itineraries, telling me if there is any difficulties with transportation?

IT1

Istanbul-(night bus to)Canakkale- 3 days around Bozcaada and Assos - (moving to ) Selcuk - 3 days around Ephesus and main sights of the area - (moving to) Pamukkale - 2/3 days around main sights of the area - (moving to) Fethiye - 7 days around the Lycian Coast - (moving to) Goreme Valley - 5/6 days around Cappadocia - Ankara

Is the Assos to Selcuk trip complicated? What about Pamukkale to Fethiye and Fethiye to Goreme?

IT2

Istanbul-Bursa/Eskisehir and around (3/4 days)-Pamukkale (2/3 days)-Selcuk (3 days)- Fethiye (7 days)- Goreme (3 days) plus a 3 days tour around Southeast Turkey (Back to Goreme) - Ankara

Is the Selcuk to Fethiye trip complicated?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Anatolia - Worth a visit? Not too hot in July?

<<<d) part of the Lycian coast (Fethiye to Demre) (7 days)<<

you should do Fethiye to Antalya..Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available

One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Kas, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye.

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

hope this helps a bit to get you started in planning

here are my other thoughts

<<I've already decided I'm not going to miss a) Cappadocia (3-6 days), b) Pamukkale and around (2-3 days), c) Ephesus and around (3-4 days), d) part of the Lycian coast (Fethiye to Demre) (7 days)<<

Arrive in Istanbul fly direct to Izmir ( visit Ephesus and around (3-4 days), Or as you have already mentioned

Istanbul-(night bus to)Canakkale- 3 days around Bozcaada and Assos - (moving to ) Selcuk - 3 days around Ephesus and main sights of the area - (moving to) Pamukkale - 2/3 days around main sights of the area - (moving to) Fethiye - 7 days around the Lycian Coast - (moving to) Goreme Valley - 5/6 days around Cappadocia - Ankara

then either rent a car and or take the buses .for shorter distances Turkey has vast system of inter city coaches. ...There are minibuses called dolmus, and you can find out the bus times at the otogar ( bus stations ) they are cheap and frequent

Or you can even take a train to Pamukkale ( spend 1 night ) or longer if you prefer but 1 night is enough. then take a bus to Fethiye ( spend 2 or 3 days ) then take another bus to Cirali ( spend 2 -3 nights ) then catch a bus to antalya ( spend 2 nights ) FLY from antalya airport to Nevsehir airport for ( goreme ) Anadolu jet airlines ( partners with turkish airlines ) starting on april 30th will have direct flights 5 times a week from nevsehir airport to Antalya ( 1 hr flight ) or vice versa ( direction )

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

from Goreme to can continue to the southeastern parts of Turkey or Ankara

maybe other will now come and give you some advice for those areas.

have a look at the Turkey travel Planner web site for helpful ideas..

turkeytravelplanner.com/itin/…index.html

2. Re: Western Anatolia - Worth a visit? Not too hot in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16