We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week itinerary

Brisbane, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
3 week itinerary

My husband and I are travelling to Turkey in August. We have 21 days, and we plan to spend the last 5 days in Istanbul. So we will head straight to Cappadocia and spend 2 days, 3 nights (is that enough time there?). From there we want to go towards the coast to Antalya and go along the coast towards Marmaris and Kusadasi. Along the way there are many places we would like to visit. We would prefer to base ourselves in a place for a few nights at a time from which to see what each area has to offer. Our dilemma is we don't know what towns are the best places to stay as bases. We have roughly 2 weeks to do this.

We would appreciate any advise you have to offer.

Concord MA
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week itinerary

I would suggest at least 3 days (4 nights) in Cappadocia, particularly if you arrive there jet-lagged from your flight. From Cappadocia you can take a night bus, or fly. If you fly, the only nonstop flights are around midnight, so the best flights are Pegasus 167 and 144, Kayseri (Cappadocia)—>Istanbul (Sabiha Gökçen)—Antalya because it's the same plane: you fly at 10:25 am to Istanbul, leave the plane, go upstairs, reboard the plane (which now has a new flight number), and fly to Antalya, arriving at 13:25 (1:25 pm).This is the best way to go if you don't choose to drive.

Along the Med coast I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 nights in Antalya, then Kaş, Dalyan, and Yalıkavak (on the Bodrum peninsula). Remember, August is high season along the coast: hotels will be heavily booked, towns will be crowded.

In the Ephesus area, Kuşadası will be a madhouse. I'd recommend staying in Selçuk or Şirince instead.

More on www.TurkeyTravelPlanner.com.

İyi yolculuklar! (Happy travels!)

Tom Brosnahan

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week itinerary

Along the Antalya coastline..always a car is preferred..but the local buses are cheap and available..

As for the amount of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..The entire coastline of Antalya ranging from the city of Antalya to Fethiye is a wonderful way to spend a vacation. And some with spendid beaches and historical areas. Here are some great places to visit south west from Antalya - Phaselis, Cirali, Myra, Kekova, Kas, Kalkan, Xanthos, Patara, Telmessos, Fethiye, Oludeniz, and Kayakoy.

A couple of places along the way from Antalya I recommend are Cirali, Ucagiz ( Kalekoy ), Patara and Kaya Koyu near Fethiye. these 4 places will be much quieter and more laid back than most of the typical resorts along the coast.

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Brisbane, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week itinerary

Thank you both for your replies. A couple more questions if you don't mind. 1. Is Pamukkale worth visiting and if so, is it close enough to the Ephesus area to do a day trip or is it worth staying there a night or two? 2. We are interested in seeing Rhodes, is it worth it? Can it be done as a day trip or should we stay there overnight?

Thanks again

4. Re: 3 week itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15