We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

I am currently planning to travel to Gallipoli for 2015 Anzac Day Ceremony. I plan to travel by ferries from Venice to Ayvalik which I know is possible. However, I am interested in any feedback on getting public transport from Ayvalik to Cannakale then a ferry to Ecebat. Also, how long is it likely to take time wise to do this?....Any help would be appreciated.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Did you get tickets in the Anzac Ballot? That's the only way of attending the Dawn Service at Gallipoli in 2015. All the local accommodation has been booked out for some time and, because so many visitors are expected, peninsula road access will be closed to everyone except official ticket holders.

You might be better off joining an organised tour or the Athens to Istanbul cruise, if you're planning to travel from Greece. The website for that is http://www.gallipoli-2015.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Yes. I got a ticket in the ballot. Ive booked an organised tour from Istanbul to Gallipoli and they are staying in Ecebat. I was planning meeting the tour at Ecebat.

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

It appears that Truva Turizm have buses that run from Ayvalik to Cannakale every hour- the trip takes about 3 hours. There may be other bus lines doing this route too, but I find it difficult to negotiate Turkish Bus Lines websites. You may be able to ask at the otagar when you arrive in Ayvalik or at your hotel, if you are staying overnight.The Cannakale to Eceabat ferry runs every hour- I think the crossing takes about 20 minutes from memory. Hope this helps.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

We also have tickets to Anzac day, which tour group are u going through ? we have found a few tours that have combine greek island and Turkey (anzac )

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Mick, Kamil Koc also have buses from Ayvalik to Cannakale. They seem to leave every 2 hours and cost 30tl. Their website is a lot easier to navigate than Truva's too.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

As Debbie says, from Ayvalik to Canakkale there are 12 buses per day with Truva and 6 with Kamil Koc, plus probably some other companies.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

It sounds like you have a very interesting trip planned. The bus from Ayvalik to Canakkale is no problem at all. Don't even think of booking in advance because you'd only fret about missing your connection. Turn up at Ayvalik bus station whenever is convenient for you and ask for Canakkale. (Or book the evening before, from your port-side hotel in the town.)

Venice to Patras is a great trip on the ANEK ferry - the views of Venice when you leave are worth the full fare, right off. Connecting with a ferry to LESBOS (for Ayvalik) might be more tricky? CHIOS island (for Çeşme) might offer more possibilities.

The problem with Greek ferries is they don't release their schedule until well into the new year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Thanks for all the info...very much appreciated....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

I am booking with RSL Travel (in Turkey) and will be on their Option 2 Tour.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek Islands to Turkey for Anzac Day 2015

Hi,

Also Going to Gallipoli- have booked The Fanatics (although reckon we will be the oldest on their tour!!) We plan doing opposite -Leave Gallipoli to Greek Islands to Italy.

The information that I have found says that there are ferries from Lesvos to Ayvalik / Dillik -Tuesday and Thursday (markets days) also read saturday during winter and that after May summer timetable starts.

I am curious if this is so and what about return -from Ayvalik to Lesvos? I realise that timetable not out but thought it may not be to different than previous years?

Also are buses daily(?frquently) from Gallipoli/ Cannakale to Ayvalik and if so- do they run on Sunday?

Ta marg