We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lira Shortage?

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lira Shortage?

My friend tried to buy Lira today in 3 different places and was told by two of them they had none. She managed to change up £700 in Thomas Cook and asked if she could order some more they said no.

Just checked online on Travelfx and are no Lira for sale on there.

Anyone have any idea why this would be?

Lorraine

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lira Shortage?

I've just spoken to someone at Travelfx and they have stopped selling Turkish Lira for the foreseeable future as neither themselves and according to him most other exchange offices can't get hold of any.

He seemed to think it had something to do with the Turkish Government!!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Chris

cheshire
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lira Shortage?

Hi,

I work at an M&S bureau. We are having the same problem. Our head office sent a message through to say that the entire market is unable to get hold of lira, not just selected stores/bureaus/companies. From experience my guess is the Turkish government are trying to reduce inflation in the country considering that GBP to TRY rate is significantly higher than this time last year and they don't want it to go above 3.5 and want to become part of the EU. The only time we have problems getting currency stock is if the government is changing the currency (e.g when Latvia joined the euro in jan) or when they are trying to reduce inflation (Iceland always try to do this!). Our advice has been to take what you can in lira, but they (should) accept GBP, EUR and USD more or less anywhere, especially markets!!

Hope this helps a bit!!

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lira Shortage?

Thanks for that info.

Am glad I changed a large chunk of our spends up when the rate was 3.72tl to the pound :-)

Chris

Birmingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lira Shortage?

Hi

I tried to exchange £ to Lira and was told due to the Turkish Government it may be sometime before we can exchange the £ to Lira lucky I bought some last week that will do the first day in turkey. I think if place already have the lira then they will sell it to you, the problem is they cant buy it in at the moment. Hope this helps.

B Hutchison

Pembs
Level Contributor
160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lira Shortage?

I bet half the problem is us lot buying loads when it hit that massive high. People bought then instead of waiting a few weeks before they go

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lira Shortage?

I very much doubt it has anything to do with Turkey wanting to enter the EU. The government know they have zero chance of doing that anyway.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lira Shortage?

I work for Thomas Cook in the Foreign Exchange and we have some in stock at the moment, but we have been advised that there will be none available to order from our supplier (Travelex) until at least Tuesday.

I personally agree with the comments above, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the government doing by not exporting the money, similar to Iceland to help reduce inflation. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Lira goes to a closed currency, like Cuba, Indian etc...

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Lira Shortage?

Because of all the economic corruption scandal from december 2013 from Prime Minister Recep Erdogan (which directly caused the massive high of almost 4 lira to the pound). He is now wanting to get the lira back to what it was some time ago when the tukish economy was booming (2009/2010 the lira was 2.20 to the pound) and he has placed sanctions on international purchase of turkish lira.

So he directly stuffed the economy with his backhanders and he is now stuffing the economy once again coz people will just stop going to turkey for tourism................cant believe he got voted in again.........oh yes i can as i think they had a printing machine in turkish government that just printed off their own vote yes!!!

its no wonder they are rioting about the back handed, devious government..........

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lira Shortage?

travelling out on wednesday, is it still a better option to exchange sterling to lira after arriving in turkey?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lira Shortage?

We got told about this shortage last night, got told you will just have to take Stirling out there and get a bad exchange rate. Lovely woman. I ordered mine last night from the post office with next day delivery has anyone else ordered online before?