We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

We are planning to visit Turkey during end of June for 9 nights. We have 2 kids - 6 year & 4 year old.

Originally I was thinking of below itinerary -

3 Nights - Istanbul (we are reaching around noon on Friday)

2 Nights - Cappadocia

1 Night - Izmir

2 Nights - Bodrum

1 Night - Istanbul

It's a long due vacation for wife and kids and we certainly want a relaxed one. Balloon ride in Cappadocia & 2 days are beach at must. We will also like to stay at some vineyard during the trip if possible. We need to go to Izmir to meet old business associate so keeping 1 night there.

After reading researching more and more on TA now I am little confused whether should we go to Pamukkale and Ephesus or skip it this time? What will be better Bodrum / Marmaris / Kusadasi / Icmeler.

Looking forward forward for your suggestions.

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

Any suggestions.. Anyone?

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

We have decided to go with below option -

2 Nights - Istanbul (we are reaching around noon on Friday)

2 Nights - Cappadocia

1 Night - Izmir

3 Nights - Bodrum

1 Night - Istanbul (leaving at noon)

I still need to do book airlines and hotels though!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

hi I am sorry that no one has answered your post but a couple of things that I would suggest is that if you only have 9 nights I would not spend 3 night sin Bodrum I would add a night to either Istanbul or Cappadocia instead.

from Cappadocia fly tp Izmir ( try the links below to find flights ) and then spend 2 nights in Selcuk.

after that you can take a bus to Bodrum for 2 nights and then fly back to Istanbul

at the beginning of your holiday 2 nights in Istanbul is very short..you should spend at least 3 or 4 nights.

<<& 2 days are beach at must. <<

another alternative is you could go to Antalya for beach time there are direct flights available from cappadocia airports ( Nevsehir or Kayseri )

some of the best beaches are from Antalya - Fethiye

worldreviewer.com/info/best-beach-turkey.html

tripguideturkey.com/the-5-best-beaches-in-tu…

many factors will determine which resort you wish to visit first being which airport to fly into. Dalaman, Antalya, or Bodrum

Instead of Bodrum you could go to Fethiye and Olu Deniz but bus from Selcuk

Domestic airline carriers in Turkey

http://www.onurair.com.tr/default_eng.aspx

http://www.thy.com/

www.atlasjet.com/AtlasjetWeb/atlasjet.kk…

http://www.flypgs.com/en/default.aspx

www.anadolujet.com/

www.sunexpress.com/tr

you could try these sites for finding flights

www.aerobilet.com/

www.skyscanner.net

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

You seem to have your heart set on a balloon trip in Cappadocia - but I am not sure if they will take children as young as your's...... Just a warning - I suggest you make some enquiries before you finalise your plans.

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

Canmom, First of all thanks for the reply! Finally I have started getting answers :)

I have business associate in Izmir and so I must spend an evening in Izmir. So Selcuk might not be possible.

It just seemed that Bodrum was in driving distance from Izmir so we had picked Bodrum. But yes, we can go to any other beach location. We went to Mauritius for our honeymoon. Maldives or Mauritius kind of beach and a nice kids-friendly resort is what we are looking for which can be reached by Flight to cut transit time.

It appears that from Cappadocia to Antalya there's a late night direct flight. Which beach / resort would you suggest in Antalya?

3 Nights - Istanbul (we are reaching around noon on Friday)

2 Nights - Cappadocia (Mon-Tue)

2 Nights - Bodrum / Antalya / Kusadasi ???? (Wed-Thu)

1 Night - Izmir (Fri)

1 Night - Istanbul (Sat)

Return flight on Sun noon

Attagul, thanks for the heads-up. I will check with few travel agencies for the balloon ride. If we can't have balloon ride, we certainly won't go to Cappadocia in this trip. :(

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

I should also mention that we are also interested in Olive farm and Wine yards and will love to spend a night - at either of this kind of place if possible.

Same goes for yacht experience - would love to do it while in Turkey.

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

Here's my updated itinerary:

20/6 Friday reaching Istanbul at noon. After checking in and relaxing a bit, take Bospherous tour.

21/6 & 22/6 Sightseeing in Istanbul

23/6 take early morning 7 am flight from IST to Cappadocia. Go for underground city of Kaymakli directly from NAV Airport. Go to hotel by 5 in evening.

24/6 Hot air balloon ride. After breakfast valley and open air museum by walk. After lunch ATV or horse ride. Evening some sunset walk

25/6 Backup day for Hot Air Balloon. Else do some walk. checkout by noon and head to Kayseri airport to catch 2:30 flight to Bodrum where will reach by 6.

26/6 private yacht for the day and relax in evening

27/6 head to Izmir in afternoon. Have dinner with Business associates in Izmir

28/6 noon flight to Istanbul. Shopping in Istanbul after checking in at hotel

29/6 return flight to India

We are with kids (6 & 4) so taking trip little relaxed. Though wife is not too happy with not being able to go to Ephesus and Pamukkale.

I have following questions:

1. Hotel in Göreme, there are too many options. We will like to have cave as well as living with Turkish family experience. I am thinking Goreme Valley Cave house. Any better suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $100 per night.

2. For Cappadocia, does my itinerary look OK? Are we better off taking rental car after arriving at NAV or should I opt for private tour?

3. What can we do on day 2 (27/6) morning in Bodrum?

4. I haven't finalized but I m thinking for Sultanahmet area for hotel in Istanbul - Any recommendation?

5. Which places have good hamam, Turkish nights and Whirling Dervishes shows?

6. Is there any i-pad app that has Turkish vocabulary? My kids have started learning Turkish and it would be helpful if there's some app that speaks.

Any overall suggestions/comments for the trip? Any other activities that we can do for kids?

Thanks.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

Don't be surprised if you finish up with two very tired and cranky kids. This is a huge programme to fit around little ones, but presume you know what they will cope with better than a stranger does.

I know you have set your heart on Bodrum however my suggestion would be to skip it, fly directly to Izmir ex Kayseri. Depending on who you fly with some have shuttle buses to Selcuk or onto Kusadasi where the littlies can have beach time or do a boat day trip and your wife could go to Ephesus. There are heaps of good quality resort hotels along the Pamuck Beach area half way between the two, or at the smaller beaches in Kusadasi. You are then only an hour away to go to Izmir but you won't have to pack up so often.

I can't remember the names but just past Kirazli (Kusadasi) there are a number of restaurants and one small boarding house set in an olive grove.

Your budget of $100 per night might be a bit tight for 4 of you in some places.

Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

$100 a night is budget only for Göreme. For other places, I am keeping higher budget.

10. Re: First time to Turkey trip with kids - looking for ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 07:16