We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a three week guideTurkey tour that is not rushed

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a three week guideTurkey tour that is not rushed

I am trying to find a tour of Turkey that will give me several days in each of the main spots. I am travelling alone so would prefer to be on a fully accompanied tour. Is there such a tour as most of the ones I have seen offered by Turkish companies seem to swap guides from place to place. Any advice you can give me would be great. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a three week guideTurkey tour that is not rushed

hi Truffle1956,

why not do this trip on your own rather that using a tour..most tours do tend to go faster paced..you could plan your own trip and organize all your own plans..it is really easy and many single travellers do travel in Turkey on their own.

however if you must travel with a group here are some recommendations

goreme.com/turkey-cultural-triangle-tour.php

tour-turkey.com/turkey-tours/classic-tours/1…

www.dijontravel.com/english/IstCpEge.htm

www.rockvalleytravel.com/tour/city-tours.php…

http://www.argeus.com.tr/packagetours.html

http://www.travelatelier.com/

nirvanaholidays.com/turkeyingeneral-02-08.asp

There's a bit of a circuit most travelers do in Turkey. The circuit can be picked up/left off from wherever and can be done in about 2 weeks. Most people either fly into or out of Istanbul.

ISTANBUL - Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya, Basilica Cistern, Taksim, Topkapi Palace, Golden Horn, Grand Bazaar, Egyptian Spice Market. Stay in the Sultanahmet area – it’s close to everything.

SELCUK - Ephesus, Bascilica of St. John, House of Virgin Mary, Priene-Miletos-Didyma.

PAMUKKALE

FETHIYE

CIRALI / OLYMPOS – Olympos ruins, 4km beach Chimera Flame.

CAPPADOCCIA - fairy chimneys and underground cities.

back to ISTANBUL.

as you see this is a lot of moving around from place to place..so you will have to pick and choose the places that might interest you the most.

Do you plan to rent a car ?? or use the public bus transportation ?? this will make a bit of a difference as having your own car will give you more freedom...or flying from destination to destination will speed up the travel time between different area.

for a 3 week holiday in Turkey a few places come to my mind..Cappadocia, Ephesus and the Lycian coastline starting from Antalya.

here are similar ideas depending on how many days or weeks in Turkey and if arriving in and departing Istanbul;

1. Istanbul - Cappadocia - Antalya -Fethiye ( Lycian coast ) - Pamukkale - Ephesus/Selcuk - Istanbul

or the reverse...

2. Istanbul - Ephesus/Selcuk - Aegean coast - Pamukkale - Fethiye - Lycian coastline - Antalya - Cappadocia -Istanbul

The Turkey Travel planner has some good suggestions

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

This is really a tough questions because 2 or 3 weeks travel in Turkey just the tip of the iceberg to see some of the great areas. My guess would be about 4 days in each area to see some of the major sites but of course you can spend many more.

Certainly the places of Ephesus ( Selcuk ) and Cappadocia are not to be missed and for some time on the historical Lycian Way... check out the areas between Antalya and Fethiye.

You certainly cannot see all of Turkey within the time frames of 2.5 - 3 weeks but a glimspes of the wonderful areas

You might want to consider 2 ways to travel. As for the amount of days it is up to you. One can easily spend 10 days just exploring the Antalya coastal areas ( Lycian coastline ) with the vast amount of historical and rural villages with lovely beaches..

Where ever you decide to go have a super trip. It will be one trip of a lifetime.

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Please read some of the other members ''Trip report''. Just type in the search box and many will come up. also blog pages plus photos on Flickr are a wealth of information and a complete guide for places like Istanbul and Cappadocia.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 09:30
Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Blue Mosque
Blue Mosque
28,525 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Basilica Cistern
Basilica Cistern
26,674 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Topkapi Palace
Topkapi Palace
22,631 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Golden Horn
Golden Horn
635 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Selcuk
Selcuk
Izmir Province, Turkey
Cirali
Cirali
Antalya Province, Turkey
Olympos
Olympos
Antalya Province, Turkey
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Pamukkale
Pamukkale
Denizli Province, Turkey
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a three week guideTurkey tour that is not rushed

Thank you for your wonderful reply. I am going to do a bit of it myself - ie a week in Istanbul and then to Gallipoli for several days. I would prefer the guided tour for my first visit to the other parts of Turkey - I guess it is a trade-off between time in places and the convenience of an organised tour. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
3. Re: Looking for a three week guideTurkey tour that is not rushed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16