We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online Visa vs at the airport

Boston
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Online Visa vs at the airport

I am traveling with a US PP, connecting through Istanbul to Budapest in Sept with a very short connection time. Although I will not be leaving the airport on my arrival, I WILL be returning by air from Bucharest to Istanbul about 10 days later, so I will need a VISA. My questions:

Is a Visa needed if you are not leaving the airport? (making a connection?)

Should I get a Visa online ahead of time to save time once on the ground if we would need one when arriving to make a tight connection?

If I have the online Visa and "use it" (show it, or do I have to give it up?) when we arrive in Istanbul to make the connection, will I need another (or a copy) when I arrive 10 days later on a plane from Bucharest?

Lastly, does anyone know how long the Visa is "valid"? or do you specify the length of time you would like?

Much thanks!!

Boston
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online Visa vs at the airport

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum...it got buried and I don't know if I should try a different more specific forum?

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online Visa vs at the airport

<<Is a Visa needed if you are not leaving the airport? (making a connection?)<<<

no if you are not leaving the airport and in transit you wont need a visa

<<If I have the online Visa and "use it" (show it, or do I have to give it up?) when we arrive in Istanbul to make the connection, will I need another (or a copy) when I arrive 10 days later on a plane from Bucharest?<<

no they dont keep it however I would print more than one copy and also send a copy to my laptop or phone just in case you need it at any time.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/tour/

You can check if you are eligible for e-Visa by clicking “Main Page > Apply” and selecting your country/region of travel document. Each traveler must obtain a separate e-Visa, including infants and children (even if children/infants are included in their parents’ passports).

Your travel document must be valid for at least 6 months from the date you intend to enter Turkey. Depending on your nationality, there may be additional requirements. You will be informed of these requirements after you select your nationality and travel dates.

You can find out about the e-Visa fee by clicking “Main Page > Apply” and selecting your nationality.

After you receive the “e-mail address verification message”, you must click the “approve” button and proceed with the payment within 24 hours. Otherwise, your application will time out, the system will not accept payment, and you will need to create a new application.

After you make payment, the link to download your e-Visa will be e-mailed to you. Passport control officers at the ports of entry can verify your e-Visa in their system. However, you are advised to keep your e-Visa with you either as a softcopy (on tablet pc, smartphone etc.) or as a hardcopy in case of any failure in the system.

The validity period of your e-Visa is different than the duration of stay. You may enter Turkey at any time within the validity period. Please note that if you wish to enter Turkey earlier than the date specified on your e-Visa, you must create a new application.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

The validity period of an e-Visa varies according to Country of Travel Document. Go to Main Page, click on Apply button and select your Country of Travel and Type of Travel Document to check for how many days you are allowed to stay in Turkey.

Do I have to obtain a visa if I do not leave the international transit area? Go

No. You do not have to get a visa if you are not going to leave the international transit area

NOTE; Your e- visa is valid for a total period of 180 days. Your stay cannot exceed 90 days.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online Visa vs at the airport

have a look at this one. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

you may get some help,,good luck bye

Boston
Level Contributor
54 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online Visa vs at the airport

Thanks! I've searched and read several of the threads about visas in Turkey but didn't' see anything specific about whether a visa was required for through transit. Glad to know it's not, Im hoping we can connect quickly and not miss our flight!

5. Re: Online Visa vs at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:17