We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey driving tour

Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Turkey driving tour

My husband and I are arriving in Istanbul the afternoon of 9/28 and leaving around noon 10/14. Our plans include driving a circuit from Istanbul including Ephesus, Goreme (Cappadocia), and the Revelation churches. We enjoy hiking and touring archeological/cultural and religious sites. How much time should we allow for driving between the sites? Do you have any suggestions to add to our itinerary?

Thanks.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey driving tour

Hi Karen,

I have mapped out on google maps a plan for a driving trip in Turkey..just check out the link

http://goo.gl/maps/Xj31j

If I where you I would fly to Izmir from Istanbul rather than driving pick up a rental car at the airport and then drive to Selcuk to spend 2 nights to visit Ephesus,

then drive to Pamukkale ( 1 night ) then drive to Fethiye ( 2 nights ) , drive to Cirali ( 2 nights ) then drive to Antalya. From antalya drop the car off there and get a flight to kayseri airport ( cappadocia ) either rent another car there or you could drive from ;Antalya stopping perhaps in Konya ( 1 night ) stay in Cappadocia ( 3 nights ) leave the car there in either Nevsehir or Kayseri and fly back to Istanbul for a 3/4 nights stay

There's a bit of a circuit most travelers do in Turkey. The circuit can be picked up/left off from wherever and can be done in about 2 weeks. Most people either fly into or out of Istanbul.

ISTANBUL - Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya, Basilica Cistern, Taksim, Topkapi Palace, Golden Horn, Grand Bazaar, Egyptian Spice Market. Stay in the Sultanahmet area – it’s close to everything.

SELCUK - Ephesus, Bascilica of St. John, House of Virgin Mary, Priene-Miletos-Didyma.

PAMUKKALE

FETHIYE

CIRALI / OLYMPOS – Olympos ruins, 4km beach Chimera Flame.

CAPPADOCCIA - fairy chimneys and underground cities.

back to ISTANBUL.

as you see this is a lot of moving around from place to place..so you will have to pick and choose the places that might interest you the most.

The Turkey Travel planner has some good suggestions

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey driving tour

Driving out of Istanbul ,is a pain so yes,I agree fly down to Izmir and pick up your rental there.You will need around 4 days to cover all of the churches the final one being close to Pamukkale where the white travertines and thermal pools are.

From here you can then take a couple of hours drive to Eğirdir in Isparta,the Turkish lake district,lovely hiking terrain as a day or so's stop off before continuing on to Cappadocia.It is quite a long drive Denizli to Capp.,around 9 hours so this would break it up nicely :)

You can make very good use of the car around there too and then return it at the airport before flying back to Istanbul.

You don't mention it and so I haven't included it,but what about Istanbul?Do you intend to spend some time there or not?If so then this would cut down your time slightly along the route.

Flying the first and final legs would help to keep down hire and fuel costs and save time too.Hire costs aren't bad here but our fuel is hideously expensive!

Hope this is a help.

Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey driving tour

Generally I can get a grasp on travel plans, but I am having difficulty putting this trip together. My husband wants to go to Athens while we are so close. Is an over-night trip feasible? It seems as if doing more flying and less driving will save us some time. Here is our very tentative itinerary. What do you think?

Monday 9/29 Arrive Istanbul @ midafternoon, fly to Cappadocia late

Tuesday 9/30 Cappadocia (Goreme), Hot-Air Ballooning, hiking

Wed 10/1: Cappadocia; underground cities

Thurs 10/2 Cappadocia

Friday10/3 Fly to Antalya rent car and travel toward/through Fethiye, Pamukkale area

Sat 10/4 Day traveling

Sun 10/5 Ephesus

Mon 10/6 Ephesus area

Tues 10/7 Fly from Izmir to Athens

Wed 10/8 Acropolis, night in Athens

Thurs 10/9 Fly to Istanbul—Hagia Sophia

Fri 10/10 Istanbul—Bosphorus (ferry), Aya Sofya, Topkapi Palace& Harem

Sat 10/11 Istanbul—Chora Church (Asitane Restaurant—Royal kitchens)

Sun 10/12 Istanbul--

Mon 10/13 Leave Istanbul early afternoon

4. Re: Turkey driving tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17