We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey In December

2 posts
Save Topic
Turkey In December

Hi there,

I was thinking of having my honeymoon in Turkey from Dec 5th to somewhere around Xmas. One of the agenda in mind would be to go hot air ballooning in Capadocia.

I was wondering though..

1) Would Turkey be a good holiday destination in December?

2) If yes to Qn 1, which other places should we visit while there?

I'd appreciate all the inputs that I can get... Thank you in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey In December

1) Yes, hot air ballooning with the ground covered in snow is a magical experience.

If you like skiing Turkey has many ski resorts on offer which are budget priced such as Mt Erciyes in Kayseri which is an hour away from Cappadocia so you can do both whilst in the area.

2) I'd recommend to visit the south east of the country visiting cities such as Sanliurfa (Gobeklitepe), Gaziantep (Zeugma museum), Mardin (& Midyat) & Batman (Hasankeyf) to get a great insight in to the lifes & structures of past civilisations that once graced these lands long before.

Close to Cappadocia you could visit Hattusa which is the remains of the 4000 year old Hittite empire that can be easily accessed from Yozgat.

You need to spend atleast 4+ days in Istanbul. Nearby there you could spend 2 days in Edirne & 3 days in Bursa. Bursa has some of the best hamams in Turkey (Eski & Yeni kaplica in the Cekirge neighbourhood).

Turkey has plenty other on offer during winter as well as other times of the year.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey In December

Thank you for th input ResmeN! (: If I'm not really into skiing, what would be another alternatives?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey In December

I've just listed you a whole heap of alternatives Nr H.

Read the answer to question 2) above.

4. Re: Turkey In December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:16