We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

I just went through the process of getting a SIM in Turkey today, and it wasn’t nearly as painful as I’d read it would be in other posts, well apart from the cost. I’d put aside the whole day expecting it to be a headache but was done in under an hour.

I’ve included the details below incase they help anyone else. I might have been spared some pain as we were able to do this in central Istanbul.

1. I visited the Tax Office in Karakoy, which is located just outside the Sishane metro stop (official looking building with Turkish flags, opposite the Big Chef restaurant).

2. The tax office was fairly quiet. At the counter, I asked for a ‘Certificate of Registration’ and handed over my phone and passport. The lady behind the counter typed away for a minute, we paid 119.50lira ($55) and received a receipt. Step 1 complete! As well as your passport, you do need to take your phone with you as they need the IMEI number and will only process it if they see the number on the phone themselves. I had it written down to save time but that wasn’t accepted.

3. I then walked to Istiklal St (the main street which leads up towards Taksim square) to the big Turkcell shop on the left, a few minutes down the street. I visited customer service upstairs and they sorted everything out for me (and spoke excellent english). They did all the necessary paperwork including registering the phone. I paid 35lira for the month which included 500 minutes, 1000 (I think) texts and 2GB data. On top of that, it cost 29lira for the SIM and 50lira to register the phone. I paid, signed the papers and it was done. I had access on my phone before I’d walked out of the shop.

The total, including costs for the first month was around US$110. Pricey, but potentially worth it depending on your needs. We’re hiring a car for 4 weeks, so for us it was worth it for access to maps etc.

Anyway, hope that helps others.

Mentioned in this post
Taksim Square
Taksim Square
2,145 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Big Chef
Big Chef
152 Reviews
Antalya, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

How long are you going to be using your sim card for Kristen?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

6-8 weeks.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

When i registered my phone it took twice as long because the lady in turkcell would not accept my stamp in my passport as you could not see clearly the date of entry even though my residency was clear. So we had to go back to the pasport police who asked for a photocopy of my passport stamp aswell as the photo page, for them to sign to confirm my date of entry! This probably would have been quicker had the turkcell store and the passport office not be on opposite ends of town 😞

So, anyone looking to register a phone make sure your stamp is clear!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

Yiks! Yes, for the record my stamp was very clear. Luckily it sounds like!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

Ok, it's just that we got a sim card recently and all we had to do was go into the Turkcell shop and buy the sim card. You don't need to register your phone if you aren't going to be using it for more than 60 days.

6. Re: Getting a SIM Card in Turkey - It was easy! But expensive..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:17