We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Kyabram
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

While sailing along the Bosphorous River try not to look over the side of the ship because if you do you will see piles of rubbish floating by. You might wonder where it all comes from --well --you only have to look at the rubbish lying in the streets alongside the river to know where it comes from. Istanbul must be one of the dirtiest cities on the planet. We walked back to our hotel from our cruise and saw kids kicking plastic bottles along the streets and people just throwing their cigarette butts to the ground. I suspect it about time a deposit was placed on plastic water bottles. No such need for a deposit on beer cans as beer is a very scarce commodity in this city--although I did find a restaurant prepared to sell it even though it wasn't on the menu---it came in a disguised metal mug!

Mentioned in this post
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
228 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,244 Reviews
from US$76.50*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
54 Reviews
from US$265.50*
US$295.00
26 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

peter h, First of all thanks for your viewpoint and your own interpretations of your observations. However there are a few factual errors that need to be corrected.

Most of the restaurants in Istanbul serve alcohol but there is a good percentage of smaller and cheaper restaurants (mostly called lokantas or kebab houses and such) that are alcohol free. You can only serve alcohol if you have the licence. That restaurant owner, did not have the licence for alcoholic drinks, but just to please you, served beer to you when asked for it. Of course he did not do it in a beer glass but tried to disguise it in a metal mug. He did all this and took the risk of some competitor complaining and thus endangering his own restaurant licence. Would you find this kind of customer service in Australia? Of course not. So let's be fair to every one.

Beer is not really a scarce commodity here. It is sold at most large and even smaller supermarkets, smaller markets but also at liquor stores all throughout the city called "Tekel".

Yes, I sometimes see trash at a few places, but all in all Istanbul is a clean city and this is attested by numerous posts by visitors at these forums. You seem to make sweeping generalizations with a few observations. Istanbul, as a megalapolis of 18 millioın, needs to be compared to similar cities in population like NYC, LA, Chicago, Paris, London etc. and it fares pretty good in such comparisons. You can not compare Istanbul with Kyabram.

I have read your train travel experience at the Bucharest - Istanbul Express and I agree with you on that. That train, in its present form, should be discontinued or lots of improvements should be made. In the presence of cheaper and faster buses and flights, no country wants to make that investment. You mention Kemal, who is form Turkey obviously, and who gave you a very friendly and extraordinary service above and beyond the call of duty. You will find lots of folks like that in Istanbul.

I do hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip.

good luck,

enigma...

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Unfortunately there is not a lot of education or deterrents to stop people littering in Turkey. You can see many beautiful places ruined due to people having picnics and just leaving the trash everywhere. There ought to be on the spot fines as there are in the UK. It makes me really sad to see people throwing rubbish directly into the sea or the Bosphorus. There are some groups working to change this.

I'd like to recommend an excellent video on this topic. It's in Turkish but with English subtitles. https://www.youtube.com/watch…

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
82 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Why would anyone think the Bosphorus was a river?

Mentioned in this post
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
82 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Kyabram
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Well what is it ? If it is not a river what is it? Is it a sea ? Is it a body of water that joins one sea to another ? Anyway whatever it is it should not have rubbish flowing down its length--we only have one earth and it needs protection and young people need to be educated in this regard

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,639 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

peter h, It is not a river but a strait.

enigma...

Kyabram
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

What an excellent video --the author is to be congratulated !! Can he have it translated into Romanian ? We took a bus from Sighoroasa to Bucharest and along the way we took photos of rubbish by the road side. The videos attempt at education is to be commended. One of the responses to my post implies it is not a problem in down town Istanbul --well it is !! We walked today from our hotel (Basilieus--what a lovely hotel) to the (old) fish market area (Kumkapi) about 750 metres away and took photos of the rubbish as we went along . In one spot we were opposite a coffee shop where men (why is it only men?) were drinking coffee/playing cards and we pointed to the rubbish lying in the little garden directly opposite and they just shrugged their shoulders ! By the way why wouldn't the owner of the restaurant spend 20 minutes and clean it up ? Of course the patrons are too busy perving on my beautiful wife to notice !!!

Mentioned in this post
Bucharest
Bucharest
Romania
Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Great video Kachika - and you are right, Turks really need to be educated about NOT chucking rubbish just everywhere. Some places are a real disgrace after everyone has been out pickicking at the weekend.

Kyabram
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

please give me the names of the supermarket chains selling beer ? clearly it does not apply to Sok or the other larger supermarkets we have attended . We were advised by one shop owner that on average you will find a small shop every 200 metres selling beer but you can work up a big thirst trying to find them especially if at 69 years of age and you are walking up hill

Kyabram
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

So it is a Strait connected to what sea or seas? Does this mean it is similar to Bass Strait which is the body of water between Tasmania and Victoria in Australia

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
810 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer

Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara. Whereas the Bass Strait only separates one island from a smaller one; the Bosphorus separates one continent from another.

Mentioned in this post
Marmara Guesthouse
Marmara Guesthouse
1,044 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
Bosphorus Tours Istanbul
82 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Reply to: Bosphorous River-A Floating Sewer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted