We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liberation of Istanbul Day?

Save Topic
Liberation of Istanbul Day?

I plan to be in Istanbul on Friday, 6 October. However, I just found out that it coincides with Liberation of Istanbul Day (İstanbul’un Kurtuluşu), which is apparently a regional holiday.

Is there anything interesting and different that I should do on this day, or are there any areas which I should avoid?

I planned to visit Panorama 1453, the Theodosian Walls, the Eyup Mosque and the Suleymaniye Mosque on that day, and to attend the Friday congregation prayer in one of those mosques. But I'm open to alternatives if there are any big events in the city on that day.

Mentioned in this post
Panorama 1453
Panorama 1453
413 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Eyup
Eyup
159 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
Suleymaniye Mosque
Suleymaniye Mosque
9,540 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
6 replies to this topic
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

Hi,

No it is a regular day, only schools are closed on that day.So you can plan your trip considering it is a regular day.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,611 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

JustKeepTouring, It is just a regular day for you. You can keep your plans for the day.

enigma...

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

But here's another question. From whom was Istanbul or Constantinople liberated on that date? And in which year?

I happened to ask when I was last in Istanbul, because friends are meeting here in Selçuk on 8th September, and I suddenly remembered that's OUR liberation day. Çamlık was the day before, and Smyrna one day later. Hence 9 Eylül University etc.

(BTW The people I asked in Istanbul didn't know, or guessed quite the wrong year. I'm still not sure because we can't ask Wikipedia here.)

Mentioned in this post
Save Reply
4. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

Enigma and Murat, thank you.

Robert, Wikipedia says that it was part of the Turkish War of Independence, ending in 1923. Sounds like it was about Turks ousting occupying forces from the end of World War 1. Why can't you ask Wikipedia in Turkey?

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

From Wikipedia.............

https:/…2017_block_of_Wikipedia_in_Turkey

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liberation of Istanbul Day?

Just after the victory of National War, 3rd Army liberated Istanbul from the British Army and allies on 6 October 1923. It is celebrated locally, therefore it is not a national holiday, that means it is celebrated at the schools and there is a small ceremony at Taksim Sq. Shopping malls and museums are open.

Conquest of İstanbul is at 1453…

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Liberation of Istanbul Day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted