We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

In a few days I'm flying from Athens to Ataturk airport on Aegean Airlines, then Ataturk to Kayseri on Turkish Airlines. The transfer time is 1 hour 50 minutes.

I booked this trip entirely on the Turkish Airlines web site and didn't realize until now that my first leg was not Turkish Airlines but a code share with Aegean, so now I'm concerned about the transfer time. Is 1 hour 50 minutes enough? Will I need to check in again at the domestic counter for the second leg?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
232 Reviews
US$100 per adult
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,244 Reviews
US$77 per adult
US$85
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
54 Reviews
US$266 per adult
US$295
5 replies to this topic
Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
793 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

Since everything was booked through the Turkish Airlines website I am nearly positive that you baggage can be checked through to Kayseri when you check in Athens. You should also be able to get your FINAL boarding pass for the Turkish Airlines flight. Do be certain you remind them to do this. In that even you'll have no problem making your connection (with your checked bags making the transfer as well).

If you reserved both of those flights at the same time via the website it shouldn't let you select a connecting flight without reasonable time to make the connection.

Mentioned in this post
Kayseri
Kayseri
Kayseri Province, Turkey
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

Thanks for your answer SwampeastMike! The two legs are under one ticket number, you're right and I won't worry about it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

I'm back from the trip now. We made the transfer even though we didn't get to the domestic gate on time. Turkish Airlines waited for late transfer passengers.

This is what happened: First, our Athens to Istanbul flight arrived 45 minutes late. Then, the long lineup at the Ataturk customs took an hour. After this, running from international arrivals to domestic departure only took a few minutes (in our panic the signage appeared very confusing, but the security guards were really helpful in point us the right way). We had to go through security again. Luckily it was empty and the security personnel did everything they could to get us through ASAP.

We made it to the gate right after the scheduled departing time but it was okay. They were waiting for us. There was an older couple who arrived even 15 minutes later.

The Turks we met everywhere on this trip were so very nice and helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

Thanks for sharing and seeing everything went well.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
2 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time

Hi there. If you have your boarding pass for the next domestic fligh, once you land and enter the airport Ataturk (international terminal) you will see the "domestic terminal"sign. GO STRAIGHT don't leave international terminal at all. Walk 20 minutes STRAIGH, you will find an inmigration desk (small one) this will link you with domestic terminal without waste time. 10 minutes more you will be at the gate @domestic terminal.

Mentioned in this post
Ataturk Airport
Ataturk Airport
Istanbul, Turkey
Reply to: Ataturk international to domestic flight transfer time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted