We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Hi Folks,

Last night, US Government temporarily suspended all visa applications by Turkish citizens at the US diplomatic missions (except those for immigrant status) and about 2 hours later Turkish government reciprocated by temporarily suspending all visa applications (including evisa and visa-on-arrival) for US citizens to visit Turkey. "https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/noevisa/". Those visitors who already have their evisas in hand will not be affected by this situation.

This situation would have to be temporary and I am sure would be resolved by diplomatic negotiations soon.

For further details you can have a look at: "hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-suspends-us-vis…".

enigma...

929 replies to this topic
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Sucks I have a flight to Istanbul tomorrow 😡😡

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Pathannn, As I said in my post, if you already have your evisa, you will not be affected by this situation.

enigma...

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Sorry I did not see that. I was hoping to get a visa at the airport as I like the stickers being placed on my passport

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Pethann, But those stickers you get at the airport are more expensive than an evisa. In any case, I am sure you will qualify for a full refund on your ticket. You better apply for that right away.

enigma...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

This situation does not affect US citizens in transit at Turkish Airports because Tukey does not require a visa from transit passengers of any nationality.

enigma...

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

☹️☹️☹️my ticket was non refundable. Sadly my travelers insurance is not covering that either. oh well things happen.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Hi Enigma,

I happen to have applied for and received the evisa in September for an upcoming trip to Turkey.

Can you share your source for the part, "Those visitors who already have their evisas in hand will not be affected by this situation."?

I've been trying to find an official statement for the status of existing visas, but no luck so far.

Thanks for sharing!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

Pathannn, As I understand you are a transit passenger at Ataturk Airport since you posted at that thread. Transit passengers do not need any visas in Turkey. As long as you do not go through passport control and remain at the transit area, you are OK.

enigma...

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

enigma,

I am transiting tomorrow to Dubai then i come back to Istanbul and supposed to stay there for about 6 days.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
41,625 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens

David, here is a link for you: "hurriyet.com.tr/vize-basvurularinin-durdurul…". The first paragraph under the first picture.

"Washington ve Ankara'nın karşılıklı aldığı 'Başvuruları askıya alma' kararından, halihazırda, vizesi olanlar, ya da vize başvurusu yapıp onay alanlar etkilenmeyecek. Bunun dışında kalan ve seyahat etmek isteyen Türk ve ABD vatandaşları mağdur olacak".

Go ahead and google translate this text.

enjoy Istanbul,

enigma...

Edited: 09 October 2017, 08:00
Reply to: Situation of Evisa for US Citizens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted