We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Hello everyone,

I was planning, in my itinerary, to walk to the Sehzade camii and the Aqueduct after visiting the Suleymaniye mosque, but I'm not sure it is a good idea; the road near the Sehzade mosque, in fact, looks quite like a motorway from the maps: is it OK to walk there or is it a road with too much car traffic?

Is this walk tiring and/or steep up-hill?

Thanks in advance.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Hi Dotting: Away from Sultanahmet above the Grand bazaar, The ancient Sehzadebasi area, with old Roman Aquaduct and many of the smaller mosques, is 15 minutes south of the Golden Horn. Many nice shops here.

you can walk, from Divan Yolu and turning right at Laleli Cami. Lots of traffic here always so be careful.

Hope this helps, as I am not really good with directions, Busyretired never found the street of the Pashminas with my directions. But Alper will know and will probably give better directions. LL

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Hi Dotting & LL,

LL, your directions are right but I cant offer a better path as I didnt walk along this route. Dotting, the streets on the map are not large as they occure on the map. Also dont forget steep hills!. But still I beleive you can walk this path.

Let me add an info for Şehzadebaşı Mosque: The great architecture of mosque, Mimar Sinan states that; "the center of (old) Istanbul is the green column at the corner of mosques courtyard. You may mesure if you like"

Best wishes, Alper

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

HI LL and Alper, thanks for your replies.

So, I think I can make it.

Does any of you know if that area is served by a bus route connecting , e.g., to Eminonu or Sultanahmet? (that's in case we're too tired to walk also the way back!)

As to Sinan: yesterday afternoon I discovered that I can receive one Turkish Tv channel (called TRT-Int) with my satellite dish; they were showing Sinan's Selimiye Mosque in Edirne in a wonderful documentary. My parents and I were AMAZED!

I had already decided to go to Edirne as a day-trip, but now I'd even go there on foot or crawling!

Apart from Suleymaniye and Sehzade, which other mosques in Istanbul were designed by Sinan?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Hi there,

if you can manage to walk back to the main road you can travel by metro back to Sultanahmet.

That is from the aquaduct down over Atatürk bulvari, to Orde Caddesi. Metro station is Laleli.

And about Sinan's architecture, I saw a very interesting book with his architecture in Istanbul, I assure you: he did a lot!

Enjoy your trip!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

Hi All and Dotting: I have always been a big fan of Edirne. When I get a minute I will write a post about it. The Mosque is marvelous and there is also a very interesting market that is worth visiting.

Loved hearing about the documentary and wish I could see it here.

Happy Day, LemonLady

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

That's great news, LemonLady: I'm really looking forward to reading your Edirne post soon! (Don't forget your restaurant recommendations in Edirne, if you've got any!)

Again, thanks everyone for giving information.

7. Re: Suleymaniye to Sehzade camii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 18:19