We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish music

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish music

In one of the recent posts (about meyhanes and raki!) MuretAnkara mentioned "good Turkish music" - and also mentioned "Zeki Muren".....

Having just come back from Istanbul and suffering all my usual withdrawal symptoms, can anyone recommend some 'good Turkish music' that I can listen to when I am thinking back to our visits?

Caro

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Turkish music

Hi Kozano,

I've never been there but I noticed many Ghetto concert tickets on biletix site. It seems to be a concert hall rather than a club or bar. I beleive we'll read your comments on Ghetto in the near future:)

Best wishes, Alper

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Turkish music

Hi all!

And this jazzy talk brings me to 'the Istanbul Connection', Turkish and Dutch jazz musicians playing together. In case the names might say something to Kozano and Alper they are Erkan Ogur, Baki Duyarlar and Erkan Akyol with from the Dutch side Dik (have to skip c as the word is not accepted, ha ha what's in a name) de Graaf, Ruben van Rompaey and Joost Kroon.

Cheers, and LL have fun tonight, have a drink on my bill, so happy you are back!

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Turkish music

What about Ibrahim Tatlesis? Truly a legend in Turkish music..

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Turkish music

Hi,

Tatlisi is the king of the Arabesk music, either you love it or you hate it. Count me to the latter....

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Turkish music

Hi everyone. I am trying to get hold of "Surgun" by Rafet el Roman. He's on youtube but I can't find any British site that sells this CD. Has anyone any ideas. I live about an hour and a half (by train) from London so suppose I could find a Turkish CD shop there but I wondered if anyone knew of any internet sites

Thanks. Koritsi

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Turkish music

Hi Koritsi: try Amazon at this site: www.amazon.com/s… LemonLady

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Turkish music

Thanks Lemonlady, You seem to pop up all over the place! I haven't ever bought from Amazon.com as Amazon.co.uk has always been ok but I'll have a look and see if they've got it.

Is Turkey somewhere you can travel alone - as I do in Greece?

By the way talking about population exchange (as we were on the Fetiye forum) I have just returned from Cyprus where both Greek and Turkish Cypriot refugees have been living in refugee housing since 1974. I don't know if it will ever be sorted out or how.

Thanks for your advice

Koritsi

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Turkish music

Hi Lemonlady, I've been on Amazon and they have only one CD but it doesn't have the track "Surgun" that I want so I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Koritsi

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Turkish music

Thanks to this post, I have a great new collection of CDs....!!

I have one by Tarkan, 2 by Sertab, one by Incesaz, and still have a couple more to come yet that I have ordered!!

I am really enjoying listening to them and am so glad I asked the forum's advice on this - ortherwise I wouldn't have known where to startin finding things I like.

On occasisons, I even play along on the drum that I ordered and had sent from Istanbul (thanks Alper!).....

All I need now is the raki......

Just wanted to say that for people in the UK who can't find what they want on Amazon, a surprising amount of Turkish music CDs are on eBay (just make sure you do an international search not just a UK only one).

Caro

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Turkish music

Hi Gonetothedogs, Do you think I'll find Surgun on ebay? Have you seen Rafet el Roman on youtube? There's also a video put together by some Americans who were touring Greece and Turkey with the same background music. You have to look for Turkish Boogers (thats what the words sound like although I found the lyrics on another site and it's nothing like that). Anyway I'm off to Ebay.

Koritsi