We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
206 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight

I will be overnighting in Istanbul in late June - being free from about 18.00 through to returning to the airport at 11.00 the next morning. Sadly there is no way I can extend the visit. Has anyone any suggestions for what I can see/do in such a short and awkward timescale?

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight

Unfortunately all the tourist sights will be closed - but if you stay in Sultanhmet - then at least you can walk around the outside of the major sights - the blue mosque and Aya Sofia and pick up a nice meal - wander down and across the Galata bridge and enjoy the evening ambience and then wander back to your hotel...that is what I would do....

enjoy!!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight

Hi mtse,

...to continue from FAED's post; you can than visit Taksim area (Beyoglu), walk down Istiklal str., lively, full of shops, restaurants, clubs, coffee shops (some with nice bosphorus view) and enjoy a dinner or some drinks at some of them.

Best wishes, Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight

I agree - stay in Sultanahmet...

You can have a lovely evening wandering around the Hippodrome, and between the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya (this is a lovely area in the evening), and have a great meal (I would suggest Albura - see the restaurant thread) and also you can walk around the Arista bazaar which will still be open in the earlier part of the evening (sort of a mini-taster of the Grand Bazaar and with some lovely things).

Then in the morning a very early start.... the Blue Mosque opens early and so you could see inside this beautiful building. The Spice Bazaar opens at 8am (either walk down or take the tram to Eminonu) (the Grand Bazaar opens at 9am but you probably don't have time) - or else there is the cistern in Sultanahmet which is also well worth a visit which opens at 8.30am and then the Aya Sofia opens at 9.15am - so you could have a flying visit!

All these times are from my newest guide book (I am never up that early to know if they are right!). The best thing to do is probably pick two things to do in the morning that appeal to you. If you don't go down to the Spice Market, you could probably fly round the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya and cistern (they are very close together) - and while you won't get to see them properly, you can get a taster - and I am sure it will convince you to go back to Istanbul with much more time to enjoy it!!

Caro

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight

Thank you all for your advice - I'll do my best in the time available - and of course work on coming back for a longer stay!

5. Re: Overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 09:16