We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uk/Brighton
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi Everyone

Fantastic site! I am glad that I have come accross as we were going to cancel our trip to Istanbul due to the current situation. (election)

3 Girls are travelling, celebrating my friend's 40th birthday. I am also Hungarian and as Turkey ruled us for over a 100 years I feel that we have a lot of History and I have never been in Turkey or Istanbul so I am very excited. There has been a lot of news in Hungary whilst I was there on Holiday ( I leave in the UK now) about the election and demonstrations showing a million people on the steet and some fights so I think our concern to travel had some foundation. At the election and after the election in Hungary we had a lot of problems and whilst I love my country I would have advised not to choose that particular time to visit Budapest. Of course my parents now worry for me to travel but after reading the forum I will more confident although still slightly nervous. Hopefully in two weeks when we are travelling things would have come down and despite of my parents warning I still want to travel and visit Istanbul as we cannot think any other destination that would excite us as much as Istanbul. We are staying in the Larespark Hotel on Taksim- has anyone heard of this Hotel?

Also we will visit all the Historical sites but would like to do some jewellery, parfum and clothes shopping as i am Hungarian I have plenty of practise at bartering unlike to my English Friend :))) where is the best place to shop?

Could anyone also recommend a trendy place for the night where we can have a good dance but also safe for 3 girls.

I would welcome all suggestions and advice

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi Szundi,

Nice to hear that you enjoyed our forum which is best on TA! You'll feel at home in Istanbul as nearly all of our public buses are Ikarus:)

You dont need to cancel your trip for security issues, many comments are available here and I beleive you read most of them. Simply, dont worry. One thing, there were no fights at the demonstrations of millions both in Ankara and Istanbul. Even there're kids with their flags. There're fights only on labor day (1st of May) which is not related with the political situation and similar things also happened in other metropols.

Although I've not stayed, I know Lares Park hotel, a reputable one in Taksim area. It's very closed to Taksim square and Istiklal str. Istiklal str. is one of the must see in Istanbul, full of shops, cafes, clubs etc. and lively 24 hours. For natives point of view, visit my blog.

For shopping we advice Kanyon and Metro City, two famous shopping malls next to each other and can easily be reached from Taksim by metro. http://www.kanyon.com.tr

Most trendy clubs for summer are located in Ortakoy area but I'm not sure if they will be opened during your visit. If not, Taksim is the right address. Istanbul clubs are just same with the ones in big cities of Europe so if you hink that they're safe, ones in Istanbul are also safe. (of course most of eyes will be on you:)

I think I wrote one of my longest comments and let me invite LL and other valuable forumers to stage for jewellery, perfume and shopping.

Best wishes, Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi Szundi: we can help with all of your questions. Please look for the following threads on the forum: Istanbul Hotel Picks, Frequently Asked Questions, our permanent post Istanbul Restaurant Picks. and here is a link to our recent thread the Ultimate Istanbul Shopping Guide, tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1140… Happy Travel, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi Szundi!

So now Alper knows where you and your 2 female are going he might come and check you out! Alper, just a joke.....

As for shopping this is one of my favorites:

lots you can find in the thread LL mentions but I like to repeat:

Cocoon on Arasta bazar, with the funiest hats and handbags, very modern in all kind of colors and shapes made from felt.

Perfume, my real favorites are italian (oh dear) but surely you do your share of tax free. And Ohran of course in the Egyptian market.

Also in the Egyptian market you find a small stall from Rosense (opposite Malatya Pazari) with all product from Isparta Roses, lovely soaps, colognes, perfumes, after shaves, turkish delights etc and the products are quality, they are not expensive because the bottles and boxes are not fancy, you just pay for the contents.

Nice is aloways to look around in Vakko (Vakko has the best shop in Bagdat Street Asian side) and Beymen (in Akmerkez) just to see the rich Turkish women shopping.

And as Alper says Kanyon is a fantastic mall, find the ottoman t-shirt shop, lovely flock prints from different symbols.

Cevahir is also one of my favorites, a very large mall.

What else you like for shopping???

Enjoy your holiday!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi VR,

There's a Vakko Outlet around the back entrance of Spice Bazaar. Sssssh dont tell anybody!

Best wishes, Alper

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi Guys: I know about the Vakko outlet outside back entrance to Spice Bazaar. Now everyone knows, thanks Alper, you are the best. LL

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Hi LL,

Did I reveal a secret? Sorry..I'll keep my mouth shut for the others like Tommy Hilfiger, Beymen etc..

Alper

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

no no dear Alper, everyone should know about this outlet store, it is always crowded with large, pushy ladies. But it is a great outlet, no secrets on the forum. LOL LL

Uk/Brighton
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

thanks guys it was my first posting and was worried that nobody would reply but pleased to see that i had some lovely and very helpful response :)))))

Alper - I shan't be travelling on the Ikarus bus I am surprised that they are still about hopefully we will not have to travel on the bus at all it is not my favourite method of transportation

it's a shame there is no trams in Istanbul I think they give a real charachter to a city and its a great way to travel

hopefully we can walk to most places

thanks for the advice on shopping we will check out those places all of us love shopping for most things, shoes of course, dresses, leather jackets and bags and parfums, also i love unusual jewellery

we get a lot of clothes in Hungary from Turkey so I know they are fantastic - it sounds like we will be very busy and won't have time for too much sleeping - they should change the shopping malls to 24 hours :)

for restaurants i have read your previous postings and my favourites are Sarnic - looks very authentic and Kordon but that looks very expensive to me???

also found top ten favourite things a great topic so try to create our programme according to those suggestions

we heard different comments on the Hammam my friend found the treatment a little bit rough

also did you have a topic for useful verbs and saying in turkish i like to learn basics when i visit a country??? thanks guys again for your useful hints and love all the secrets :)

just one more thing is it better to change money in Istanbul rather then changing it in the UK - from experience I know I get much better rate in Hungary then in UK???

most grateful for your help

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

Of course there are trams in Istanbul and they are a great way to travel. There is a tram stop located in Sultanahmet and you can travel to Karbatas to change for the funicular to Taxim Square.

Over on the Anatolian side of Istanbul you can take the nostalgic tram to Moda. Here's a helpful link: turkeytravelplanner.com/go/…IstanbulTram.html LL

Uk/Brighton
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General questions on Istanbul, welcome all suggestions

wow fantastic news!!!! we will travel with the tram all the time

i read so many good things about Istanbul I just cannot wait to travel