We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sending home parcels

Adelaide
Level Contributor
233 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
sending home parcels

we are going to turkey for a 2 week bus at the start of our 6 week backpacking tour of europe. My question is as i have heard that shopping is excellent throughout turkey how safe and what is the best way to send parcels home from istanbul back to australia. Is it better to buy in istanbul or at the cities we visit. I love ceramics which is unfortunately heavy to carry when backpacking. Any suggestions welcome. thankyou. diane

MeatSpace
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sending home parcels

This is only a partial answer, but when I was there a few years ago it was very easy to send parcels by bus. I forwarded a few things as I went along to my final destination in Turkey. You couldn't send anything particularly fragile or valuable, but I didn't have any problems.

The bus network in the country is very extensive and regular. Can make for some hilarious tales too.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sending home parcels

I didn't try to send any packages, but I found the postcards I sent home were the fastest international delivery I have ever had. The postcards arrived in 4 or 5 days and even beat me home.

The post offices are called "PTT". And I read that you should bring packing materials with you because they make need to inspect the parcel to ensure you are shipping anything illegal out of the country, such as antiquities or drugs.

ontario, canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sending home parcels

I would suggest using fed-ex or ups, they're more relyable with the fragile stuff

Level Contributor
1,424 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sending home parcels

First, I just returned from Turkey. Don't use UPS. FedEx and DHL are very reliable, however, very very expensive.

All companies only offer 2 day service, which even in the states is very expensive. I shipped back a medium amount of ceramics and some linens and it was 500.00.

MY suggestion, which I will do in the future is locate an international frieght company, a bit slower no doubt, and contract with them. Most things out of Turkey are Ok to ship except Antiques and Alcohol, including wine.

When you purchase anything, first, if it is over 100.00, ask the clerk to give you the paperwork where you can get the VAT tax back. This is a refundable tourist tax that you pay on purchases over 100.00 that if you have the paperwork from the place you bought it, the tax will be refunded. You can get the refunds at the airport as long as the paperwork is in order.

Secondly, if something even looks old, as it is illegal for anything over 99 years to leave Turkey, then you have the shop owner give you documentation of the age, etc.

Third, don't buy jewelry at the grand bazaar. The gold weight is very light and the quality is poor. Remember that the Turks call shopping areas bazaars, so bla bla, bla, bla. There is a reputable Jeweller called Turquaz in Sultahamet. The bazaar he is located in is across the street from a museum, very close to the blue mosque and St. Sofia. The name of the bazaar is Arista Bazaar. His name is Hakan.

While you are shopping, remember the system. EVERYONE has a friend. Actually they are not friends, they are people who pay commissions to anyone who is referred into their store by this person. Nothing is free in Turkey, everyone is being paid, but it is a wonderful experience as long as you know how it works.

Istanbul is where I would make most purchases. The smaller cities have less competition and sometimes are a little aggressive.

Hope this helps. You will absolutely LOVE Turkey. I return there every year and will continue to until I can't walk anymore!

Denver
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sending home parcels

Do you happen to know the name of a reputable overseas shipping company? $500 to ship seems pretty high just for linens and some ceramics.

I am planning on going to Turkey in about 2 years, I am trying to find certain things out in pleanty of time so that I am not scrambling at the last minute.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sending home parcels

could you just use the regular mail???

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sending home parcels

Hi Dianejoy: I recommend DHL for sending home parcels. Expensive but worth it. Everything I ever sent came in mint condition. My ceramics arrived intact. Thanks to vppub for mentioning the Turquaz jewelry store. I have also bought some gold and gemstone pieces from them and they are spectacular. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sending home parcels

Something big and expensive like a carpet they will arrange the shipping for you!

9. Re: sending home parcels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 04:15