We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions for you experts.....

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions for you experts.....

First time visit to Istanbul next week, staying at Askoc Hotel.

I believe the hotel is near to the railway station, please advise whether there is a direct train from the airport which would be cheaper than a taxi. Any idea of costs for both/either journey?

Also please could you confirm that the current cost of a visa is £10 sterling payable on arrival only, at the airport.

I would like to visit the cemetery which I believe is on the 'Asian side; how easy is it to get a ferry there, and back again!!?

Many thanks in anticipation of any answers!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi: your hotel is in Sirkeci, near the famous train station and within walking distance to most of the historic sites in Istanbul. Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Cisterns, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace and a short distance by tram to the Spice Bazaar (get off at Eminonu).

Here's a helpful link that tells about getting from the airport to Sirkeci.

turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transpor…

A texi from the airport will cost between 35 to 40 YTL depending on traffic. Make sure the meter is on ("taximetre") and it says gundoz for day or gece for night (12 midnight to 6am), night rate is 50 percent higher. Avoid all flat rate offers.

Current visa cost for passport holders from UK is 10 pounds. Have a 10 pound note handy since change is not made.

What cemetary do you want to visit? To get to Anatolian side of Istanbul you take the public ferry at Eminonu, and then you will have to take a bus or a taxi to the cemetary.

Hope this helps, Happy Travel, LemonLady

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi Etincelante,

ferries are really easy to use, probably easier than buses, and were my favourite means of transport when I was in Istanbul earlier this month; there are several docks in Eminonu, each one dedicated to a destination, which is clearly indicated by big signs (e.g. "Uskudar Iskelesi" = "dock to Uskudar", etc.; remember: Haliç = Golden Horn and Bogaz = Bosphorus!); ferry fare is the same as the tram fare (1.30YTL, or 1.25YTL with an Akbil), except for the scenic Bosphorus tour, which is 7YTL one way or 12.5YTL round trip.

In Istanbul I visited a wonderful cemetery in Eyup, which is on the southern shore of the Golden Horn; it climbed up a green hill, on top of which there was a very nice historic cafe were we had an apple tea with great views on the Golden Horn; if you don't want to walk all the way up there is a "teleferik" taking you up for the usual fare (1.30 / 1.25 YTL); by the shore in Eyup there is a very nice and sacred mosque and the tomb of Eyup, whom is venerated by muslims like a saint; the place attracts many muslim pilgrims and is very lively and peaceful at the same time. It is very easy to get there (and back) by ferry; there is one every hour, so check the timetable (which local expert Alper found for me in the Turkish website of IDO: thanks again, Alper!):

www.ido.com.tr/index.cfm…

This one is in Europe, though, so I don't know if it's the same cemetery you wish to visit; I recommend it anyway.

Between the Fener and Balat docks, along the way, you may see the very nice Bulgarian iron church.

The English version of IDO's website reports timetables for all the other lines (can't guess why the missed the Golden Horn one, there):

www.ido.com.tr/index.cfm…

You may find useful to print the ones you think you may use.

Enjoy!

Kent
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

DottIng and Lemon Lady,

Many thanks guys for your replies. After serious consideration I shall take the easy way out and get a taxi from the airport to the hotel; once I've got my bearings I might decide to take public transport back to the airport!!!! But thanks LL for the warnings regarding the taxi meters.

The cemetery I was hoping to visit is the Karaca Ahmet Cemetery, and I was hoping to get a ferry from Sirkeci to Harem; it appears to be a car ferry, but I guess a foot pasenger would be allowed too?!

Thanks again for your help

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi: this cemetary is a short walk from the ferry. Take ferry at Eminonu, not only cars, people ride them too. LL

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi,

i read in my guide book that this cemetery is on the hills between Üskudar and Kadiköy but closer to Üskudar.

But I don´t know if this is true.

There are thousands of old tombstones in a wild romatic area.

Have a nice trip

Patara01

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi: here's some useful info from the About Turkey website:

Uskudar: Relatively unknown to tourists, the suburb of Uskudar, on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, is one of the most attractive suburbs. Religiously conservative in its background, it has a tranquil atmosphere and some fine examples of imperial and domestic architecture.

The Iskele, or Mihrimah Camii is opposite the main ferry pier, on a high platform with a big covered porch in front, often occupied by older local men watching life around them. Opposite this is Yeni Valide Camii, built in 1710, and the Valide Sultan’s green tomb rather like a giant birdcage. The Cinili Mosque takes its name from the beautiful tiles which decorate the interior, and was built in 1640.

Apart from places of religious interest, Uskudar is also well known as a shopping area, with old market streets selling traditional local products, and a good fleamarket with second hand furniture. There are plenty of good restaurants and cafes with a great views of the Bosphorus and the rest of the city, along the quayside. In the direction of Haydarpasa is the Karaca Ahmet Cemetery, which is the largest Muslim graveyard in Istanbul. The front of the Camlica hills lie at the ridge of area and also offer great panoramic views of the islands and river.

If you take the ferry to Uskadar you'll be fine. LL

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
8,971 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi all,

The Karaca Ahmet Mezarligi ios very close to the Florence Nightingale Museum. You can get there either from Üsküdar or Harem and it is very close to the Haydarpasa trainstation.

Go to Google earth:

44˙00'45.00 N

29˙01'13.68 E

I love Google earth, makes the world look so small though.

It is really easy to get here by ferry and walk a bit. The graveyards have beautiful Ottoman graves.

Hope this helps!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Hi VR and Patara are right about the cemetary. It is really worth seeing although most travelers wouldn't rate cemetaries high on their to do list. The graves are beautiful and evocative of another time. So guys, if you have time make this trip over to the Anatolian side and see it. LL

Kent
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

I love TA ....... the fact that people are prepared to spend time and share their collective experiences in an attempt to help a fellow human have a good time, for no reward, other than the satisfaction of knowledge shared, is a great thing in this day and age!!

My first time in Istanbul is approaching and I have no doubt I will have a couple more questions tomorrow !!! lol .... however, for now, thanks to all who have answered my somewhat strange question about the cemetery. It's NOT the kind of place where most tourists head for, but the I adore the beauty of the sepulchral architecture and normally the tranquility that surrounds a cemetery. Budapest is my no 1 so far, Athens second and Paris third ...... I'm hopeful that Istanbul will be up there too!!

I'll report back in due course!

xx

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions for you experts.....

Have a great trip and post some pictures of the cemetary when you get back. LL