We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Hi Guys: Yesterday my Turkish grocer gave me an "evil eye" pin to ensure good luck for our film, Istanbul, Up Close and Personal. This got me thinking, we have lots nazar bonjuks in our house, one large one hangs on our bedroom door, and all the children and granchildren have them, one even is pinned to the shirt of our newest baby T. So I thought I'd write a post about this very prevelant charm that you see all over Turkey in many different forms. Pins, earrings, I have a pendant of an evil eye surrounded by diamonds, and a handbag with evil eyes from the bag shop in Sirince. I have a evil eye magnet on the kitchen refrigerator. Even Orhan at the Arifoglu perfume store gave me a tassel soaked in my favorite scent that had an evil eye attached to it. So what's behind the nazar bonjuk. Here's what I found out about it.

Countries all over the Middle East have amulets that ward off the evil eye. Some people believe that people can give you an envious gaze or that a lot of praise will attract evil spirits intent on giving you bad luck. The eye set in a blue background stares out into the world warding off evil spirits. It is seen in Turkish homes, in cars, we gave our melon seller a charm to hang in his new melon van. Some are embedded in the sidewalk in front of some homes and businesses in Turkey.

The color blue is said to signify water since water is a precious commodity. Nazar bonjuks can be set in other colors for fashion purposes but blue is the authentic color. Don't worry your colored nazars will protect you just the same.

These amulets go back many centuries. They are mentioned in Sumerian writings and found in ancient tombs in Sanli Urfa.

So what's the story. It is said that a long time ago there was a rock that no one, not even the strongest man in town could move or split. But the town did have a man who was said to have the nazar, or evil eye and he was brought to the rock. The man reportedly said, "Wow, what a big rock this is" and when he said it the rock split into many pieces and fell into the sea. There are probably more legends assocaited with the nazar bonjuk so post them if you have them.

One important thing to remember is that if the amulet is cracked its power is gone and you have to replace it. Since things haven't been going all that great around here lately I checked my nazar bonjuks and found that the one on the bedroom door had cracked and now I will have to get another. I have hung a small one on the door temporarily.

Is your LemonLady superstituous, not as a rule but it can't hurt. After all in today's world we need all the luck we can get. So when in Turkey get your nazar bonjuk and if you can't get there, get one from Tulumba, the online Turkish store which has many kinds. I love the one which is a little brass tree with hanging nazars. tulumba.com. Please add your own "evil eye" experiences. We'd love to hear them. I wish you a Happy Weekend, free from the evil eye, LemonLady

Here's more on the evil eye all over the world from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Superstition not being my thing - but hey ho - I have 2 evil eyes at home here in the UK and god knows how many evil eyes Evim in Kalkan..and on my keyring..!

And oh - i also put my finger and twisted it in the Yerebatan Cistern in Istanbul - can't remember what I wished for - but something good..!!

Cheers!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
763 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Yes I do believe in the evil eyes and especially regarding the blue and black colour on the amulet! Normally we in the Middle East and also in muslim countries do believe in the 'evil eyes' and in fact it was written in the Al-Quran about it and there was also a saying in Egypt that 'an evil eyes can split a stone'. In the Middle East whenever someone stares at you or if they talked about how lucky you are and wish they were in your place, we would say 'Allahu akhbar' as to protect oneself from an evil eyes! They may not meant it but you never know! That is why sometimes it is better for you not to tell the whole thing as some people might not be as lucky as you are. Me too when I was in Istanbul, Melut the guy from the Front Desk gave me two pins of evil eye, my husband said no to him but he kept insisted for me to take it with me and I am glad that I have it and i pinned it at my handbag and it really look beautiful! In fact i bought some of the evil eye key chains to give some of my friends and family members to keep away all those evil eyes!! It is true like LL said we all do need some luck in our lives and why not? Thanks again LL for the wonderful info and keep it coming!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Hi Guys and Peekaboo. Thanks for your post. In Turkey when someone offers you a nazar bonjuk, always accept please. They are tryinng to do a good deed for you.

I'll tell you another story about the nazar bonjuk. We arrived in Izmir one year for a car trip all around Turkey. We were met by Zalkan the driver, pronounced Zalkan the dreever. He presented us all with nazar bonjuk keychains to start our trip off on the right note. We all fell in love with Zalkan, and sent him a lot of business over the years. He has now moved to Istanbul and his children are going to wonderful schools there. We see him every trip and we will have him on the film crew in charge of transport. His gift warmed our hearts and his present is attached to my handbag every time I go out. Good luck for us and for Zalkan. I am certain thatyesterday's gift of the nazar bonjuk from the grocer will allow us to get our film funds quickly and painlessly. Glad you're all enjoying this thread, it's both fun and revealing.....LL

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Hi LemonLady and all,

I'm so pleased to see this thread: in fact I was about to write about my experience with nazar bonjuks in my trip report, but I'll do it here.

My experience is that: nazar bonjuks WORK!!

While we were in Ortakoy we bought three nazar bonjuks on the street, intending them to be presents for our neighbours; well: we immediately started being so lucky, that we decided to keep those for ourselves, and actually bought some more in Beyoglu the following day (some more for us, and others for neighbours, friends and relatives).

Our luck consisted in finding money everywhere! And I am not just talking about 5 or 10 kurus coins (well, also: we probably found at least ten of them anywhere in the city): the first find was in Kadikoy, that same day, when mum found a 50 kr. coin, at the same time when I was picking up a 10kr. coin one metre away; then it was a crescendo: we boarded the ferry back to the European side seconds before it left (and actually ran not to miss it), and the wind blew a 5YTL note just between my mum's feet, so she saved it before it went into the water (no one was after it, so we won it!); that same night, after dinner at Baran's, I found a 20YTL note (!) in Sultanahmet while crossing the street.

On the following day we were counting our coins for buying jetons for the Tunnel; we were lacking 5kr for the exact amount (otherwise we would have had to change a banknote), so we said "OK, let's find one": looked down, and found 10kr. two metres away.

On the last day, when we got to the airport, we learnt that Alitalia's flight attendands were on strike (no news): flight to Rome was cancelled, but our flight to Milan did leave and was perfectly on time!

I know: it sounds like a made up story, but I solemnly swear it's all true!

Now, I've never been superstitious, but I agree that it can't hurt, so now we have a big nazar bonjuk hanging in the corridor of our house, and each member of my family has a personal one (either in the car or in the bag).

By the way, do you know a funny saying I've often heard in Italy about superstiton? There are two possible attitudes (or school of thoughts) towards superstition: one is "It's not true, but I believe in it", and the other one is "I don't believe in it, but it's true! "

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

hi folks im busy reading all your post on the evil eye and next thing i hear a smashing sound from my kitchen when i went to ivestigate what the noise is i find my evil eye has fallen off my fridge the magnet bit still on the fridge but my evil eye smashed into a million pieces( maybe not a million) how spooky is that just as well ive got key rings with them on them out with the vacum !!!! have a good weekend hope mine is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Hi Guys: lucky sandy you have been touched by the long arm of coincidence. Your bad luck is now smashed into a million pieces so vacuum it up and throw it away. You will now have good luck. In fact Dotting is going to send you 100GBP.

Dotting. I hope my new nazar bonjuk will attract money for our film project. If you have that gift we will have to have you on the production staff as chief moneyfinder. It's funny that the grocer did say when giving me my nazar bonjuk that money will follow, that was yesterday and so far nothing. But I am patient. Have a great night everyone, LL

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

ha ha LL i await for my £100 i will put it towards my jewelry fund or it could pay for my turkish lessons!!!!!!! lol :) have a nice weekend im afraid its work for me in 5 hours so im off to bed nite nite x

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Oops,

it looks like I should have read Peekaboo's post more carefully, before telling about my luck; next time I'll think twice before boasting off. That 20YTL note is going to cost me a lot! :-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
763 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

Hi everyone,

LOL!!! that is funny Dottlng!

20. Re: Nazar Bonjuk or How to Avoid the Evil Eye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:28