We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please translate - I'm curious!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi all,

I've got a question for Turkish speakers.

When I was in Istanbul, there were electric cables hanging between two minarets of the Blue Mosque, with light bulbs forming some words when they were turned on after dark.

These words were: "vakif insana hizmettir" (I checked in my photos!).

I've been wondering since then what they meant: can anyone tell me, please? I'm so curious!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear Lemonlady and Busyretired

Could you explain yourselves please? Do you have any problem with me or translators or??

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear Arzu: PLEASE don't think anyone has a problem with you or translators. I was having joke with BR, it's like this. Recently on the Tour Guides in Istanbul thread someone called Turkeyexpert said you can't visit Istanbul without hiring a tour guide. We of course told him he was wrong and thus I thought I would make a joke. I am sorry if I offended you but it wasn't mean to offend you it was meant to make a point about "needing" things like guides and translators in Istanbul. We don't want people to feel that they cannot see Istanbul easily on their own. I apologize for any misunderstandings. we love your helpful and informative posts. Apologies again. LL

Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear Lemonlady apology accepted and thank you very much for spending time to write to me. I am a bit offended at first but I understand completely now what you meant. You are right Istanbul can be seen without a guide or a translator like any other city. I am not a travel translator or a guide. I do professional interpretations/translations for companies but seeing travellers here in this forum can be sometimes confused I thought if they need my help when they struggle I can offer. Also I travel a lot myself and sometimes I need a friendly hand in the other countries too. So like other tour or personal guides I am not offering myself for a full time job :) yet I dont have the time for it.

Bye the way I like very much your comments and helps about Turkey as well and I should thank you in the name of all Turkish people doing a favour for all of us presenting Turkey very well.

ps. I will be in Orlando (via NY) next week maybe I can need your help as well?? :)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear arzu, Let me add my apologies as well. I truly appreciate the occasional need for a translator. My son-in-law speaks Arabic and lives in a state, where there are probably no more than 3 dozen people who speak Arabic. Visitors occasionally need his services. He is registered for ever hospital in the area, and occasionally has to leave at 3:00 am to help admit some person with a medical emergency. He does this for no money - just as a community service. His primary job is teaching Arabic at the university.

We certainly did not intend to write in a disrespectful manner as we all recognize the vital role that a translator may play in some emergency. We were just having a silly joke. The mission of the forum is to help people accomplish a visit to Turkey without the need to join a formal tour group or hire a private guide. We believe that "doing" Istanbul on your own makes this opportunity more affordable and therefore more available to the average person who probably cannot afford an expensive formal tour or the services of a private guide.

As LL mentioned in her post, we had just spent the last few days with a poster who insisted that one could not safely enjoy a trip to Istanbul unless one hired a private guide. I guess we just had a little private joke......maybe it was too late at night and I was not thinking clearly. At any rate, my apologies. You have a difficult job and it was generous of you too offer your services to the forum.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Hi Guys: I will think carefully before I post anything could be construed as insulting to anyone in the future. I guess I was in haze of fatigue. I certainly owe a lot to the translators of Istanbul, invaluable to us when we were purchasing and renovating our house.

Arzu, ask me your questions please about coming to US. LL

Level Contributor
104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

Dear Busyretired thank you for your time and thoughts as well. Like you and Lemonlady mentioned sometimes in these sort of forums there can be some rude or time waster people. When I read your comments I was really suprised because from your earlier posts both of you seem very kind people. I thought I must have misunderstood these comments and thats why wanted to ask your real opinions. And thanks again for your time to write me your real thoughts.

Well I was actually a banker not a translator till I went to the UK to live for a while! I became one just like your son in law due to the need of Turkish people living there but I never intend to become a tourist guide as I dont have the patience to visit the same sites over and over again! LOL

17. Re: Please translate - I'm curious!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 12:20