We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction books

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fiction books

Another thread inspired by Kozano's latest thread......

We have had threads about travel books for Istanbul and quite a lot of biographies etc - but what about good fiction books (or fiction-ish books) based in Istanbul?

What have people read - or is on their list to read?

I have read The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (which I wasn't hugely keen on - but I will at some point read the follow up The Snake Stone - also set in Istanbul) and I have also read the Barbara Nadal books (which I have to admit I like but probably mostly because of the location they are set in).

So how about everybody else? I need some good books to read during the winter while I am dreaming about being back in Istanbul!

Caro

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
181. Re: Fiction books

I just finished reading "Istanbul Passage" after Sharon recommended it on the forum. I found it very engaging, and it is always fun to be able to picture the routes people walk and travel as well as so many of the ancient places. It provided some interesting insight into the conditions of Istanbul immediately following WW II, and certainly captured the mystery and intrigue of the city.

It is a good story set in my favorite city, and I certainly recommend it. I ordered mine for my Kindle one minute after reading Sharon's suggestion.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
182. Re: Fiction books

Thanks, siouxxie, I just added my name to the reserve list at my local library.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
183. Re: Fiction books

i've read several other books by Joseph Kanon and obviously i like him, so I was thrilled to read this one! and i thoroughly enjoyed it (even looked up some things after!)

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
184. Re: Fiction books

For all the Barbara Nadal fans, her new Ikmen book - to be called Deadline - is set back in Istanbul and centres around the Pera Palas Hotel. There seems to be more focus on Ikmen's character too with him facing demons from his past....

That's the good news. The bad news is that it isn't out until Jan 2013!

So in the meantime, I will go and order Istanbul Passage...

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
725 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
185. Re: Fiction books

I just finished Joseph Kanon's Istanbul Passage and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It kept me guessing and I enjoyed, of course, the characters weaving in and out of Istanbul's sites and the post-WWII historical context.

I enjoyed Kanon's writing - a first of his for me - and will be seeking out other books of his (putting them in line!).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
186. Re: Fiction books

Another "I just finished reading Istanbul Passage" post: I just finished this book last night and agree with both BR and barusso that it was a very well-written and enjoyable read. Well developed characters, evocative references to many historical sights and neighborhoods, a fascinating commentary on the effects on the intelligence community of Turkey's neutrality during World War II, it provided a very happy escape from my daily life.

Royal Oak, Michigan
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
187. Re: Fiction books

Just finished Istanbul Passage which I purchased before going to Turkey and finished on the plane ride home - It's an 'old school' espionage thriller (think Graham Greene) and a lot of fun....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
188. Re: Fiction books

Don't miss Joseph Kanon's ISTANBUL PASSAGE.... Here is the link... if you read THE GOOD GERMAN you won't want to miss this.... I was a child in Istanbul in the late 1940s and Joe has done a great job with the atmospherics...

We had two servants who had escaped the Iron Curtained Balkans who had NO papers... and the city was full of Axis spies who hadn't gone home....when the war ended...

Here is a link

amazon.com/Istanbul-Passage-Novel-Joseph-Kan…

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
189. Re: Fiction books

Mehmet My Hawk actually is set in a Cukurova village,but it is a great book.

On Istanbul.(In english)

Y. Kemal - The sea crossed fisherman.

Istanbul noir (Great crime anthology)

O Pamuk- The black book..

Latife Tekin - Dear shameless death.

B Uzuner - Istanbullu

E Shafak - The flea palace and,and another that contains a profanity in the title, The b... of Istanbul.

M M Somer - Very funny Crime series set in a "mileu" of transsexuals

Lawrence Goodman- Princes islands series are VERY light reads.

And offcause much,much moore,personally my favourite is The black book,maybe the only truly great novel Pamuk wrote.The weird places described in this novel actually exists,I spent a memorable week visiting them 15 years ago.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
190. Re: Fiction books

I still think that Elif Shfak's The Forty Rules of Love is her best book (although I enjoyed The Bast*rd of Istanbul) - but will give Pamuk's The Black Book a try... I sometimes find him very difficult to read!

Looking forward to the new Barbara Nadel book which is out in a couple of months time and based around the Pera Palas hotel.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 22:24