We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiction books

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fiction books

Another thread inspired by Kozano's latest thread......

We have had threads about travel books for Istanbul and quite a lot of biographies etc - but what about good fiction books (or fiction-ish books) based in Istanbul?

What have people read - or is on their list to read?

I have read The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin (which I wasn't hugely keen on - but I will at some point read the follow up The Snake Stone - also set in Istanbul) and I have also read the Barbara Nadal books (which I have to admit I like but probably mostly because of the location they are set in).

So how about everybody else? I need some good books to read during the winter while I am dreaming about being back in Istanbul!

Caro

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
221. Re: Fiction books

I have just started reading The Gaze by Elif Shafak, fabulous book!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
222. Re: Fiction books

I have just bought "Honour" and now will start it soon:-))

The author is pretty famous in Germany too.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
223. Re: Fiction books

I have started the novel "Honour" (Elif Shafak) now and I can´t stop reading, it fascinates me, it´s so very atmospheric. A powerful novel of a kurdish family, set in Turkey and London, a mixture of love story and social novel.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
224. Re: Fiction books

Here is another good book about Istanbul recommended by poster "Sue". The book is titled "the Woman Who Lost Her Soul", and it takes place in the Istanbul of 80's. Have a look: "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k7508…".

happy reading,

enigma...

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
225. Re: Fiction books

I strongly recommend Barbara Nadel's books. They are great crime novels in themselves. I know Istanbul very well and love reading them. May of the places I know and visit regularly are in them. Not everything in them is 100% accurate but a good 90+% I would say.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
226. Re: Fiction books

I am currently reading Elif Shafik's most recent book The Architect's Apprentice. So far I am only 100 pages in but I am loving it. It gives a very evocative glimpse into the lives of those living in Topkapi Palace and in Istanbul at the time of Suleyman the Magnificent - and also the creation of the great works of Sinan. As always with her books however at the heart are very compelling human stories. I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,980 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
227. Re: Fiction books

"Honour" was the first book of Elif Shafik and I liked it very much, so did some of my friendstoo, to whome I recommended it.

So I have the challenge (and hopefully pleasure) to read all 12 or 13 novels of her:-))

Edited: 20 March 2015, 12:59
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
228. Re: Fiction books

I've just read Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul: Memories and the City, which is nice, but I prefer his fiction. I'm reading Snow now and have read My Name is Red and The Museum of Innocence (pair this with the museum visit). Also fun is Istanbul Noir and The Book of Istanbul (both are short stories by assorted authors, all set in Istanbul).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
229. Re: Fiction books

Hi all,

- Buket Uzuner

-- I Am Istanbul (this I managed to get at Borders before they closed it down)

-- Istanbul Blues

-- Water: The Adventures of Misfit Defne Kaman (this was a gift from Istanbul)

- Cezmi Ersoz (very melancholic insights on love, usually from a first-person POV)

-- Kind-Hearted Sinners

-- Confessions of a Love Come Undone

- Orhan Pamuk (I've always loved how nostalgic and sentimental he really is about memories)

-- Other Colours (vignettes like 'Istanbul: Memories and the City')

-- Museum of Innocence (that was a treat to find out about the stamp in the book)

- Elif Safak

-- Black Milk

-- Just bought 'The Flea Palace'

Selcuk Altun

- Songs My Mother Never Taught Me

Enjoy reading!

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
230. Re: Fiction books

Thanks for a lot of interesting ideas!