We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Hi all,

I am keep making the itinerary for almost 3 days. Now I need a help to polish or add or any suggestion to any change to this itinerary.

Here we go- (it is for 4 people me, my hubby, and my 2 daughters 23, 24) leaving Dec 18, arriving on the 19th by 2.00pm, Dec 20 and Dec 21 in Istanbul then Dec 22 by noon off to Egypt.

Ok, What I decided (of course I discuss with my family) -

Dec 19 Wednesday Afternoon

Go to the closest drugstore and purchase a product called Lomotil.

(I know its funny but we should have this before we hit any restuarant (lol))

Spice Bazaar then to Grand Bazaar. Have Coffee at "Sark Kahvesi" in Grand Bazzar

Also visit little bazaar by the Blue Mosque, Arasta Bazaar

Dec 20 Thursday, Morning

Topkapi Palace, Istanbul

Plan 3-4 hours. Have a lunch in Konyali restaurant in the Topkapi gardens

After Lunch Visit Hagia Sophia Museum / Church (Ayasofya)

plan 90 minutes

Basilica Cistern plan 60-75 minutes

Blue Mosque plan 40 minutes.

From 5.30 pm to night

Go back to hotel relax, change, and go out again by 7.00pm

Have dinner at "Hamdi" in Eminonu or Barrens (as TA recommended)

Dec 21 Friday Morning

By 1.00 pm see these 2 things -

Dolmabahce Palace and Suleymaniye Mosque

Have Lunch (may be we don’t want lunch)

Take Ferry TurYol at 1.00 or 2.00 come back by 3.00 or 4.00. Then until 9.00pm See Galata Tower, Galata bridge, Taksim Square, Istiklal Street and Kanyon mall. Have dinner at Mall.

Dec 22 Saturday Until 12.00pm (this day is one of daughter's birthday.) Haven't decided what to do. As we have flight at 1.30pm to Cairo.

Free day

Please feel free to add any thing. I will appreciate that. I still don't know what restuarant to go for dinner on 21st. My daughters like to go to one of the clubs in the night (don't know which one) and also what to do on 22nd.

We are living in Sultanahmet area jsut next to grand bazaar.

thank you in advance.

praveen

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Hi psharma,

on Dec 20 I would recommend Hamdi for dinner .

Baran at DivanYolu street has decent turkish food but it is not so nice for a comfortable dinner, it is more for lunch.

Dolmabahce Palace and Sülemanyie Mosque are in different directions.

Sülemanyie is close to Grand Bazar and Dolmabahce is on the other side of the bridge in Kabatas.

I would go to Sülemanyie on the first afternoon, when you are walking to Grand Bazar and Spice Bazar. You can see it on one of the hills.

To Arasta Bazar you can have a look when you are visiting Blue Mosque, it is just behind.

Dec 21 I would go by tram to Kabatas and have a short walk to Dolmabahce Palace.

After visiting that you can go by funicular to Taksim Square, explore Istiklal Street and Beyoglu, Galata Tower etc.

Then you can go from Taksim to Kanyon Mall, I´m not sure if by metro or bus.

I think you will see a lot of famous and wonderful sites, it´s a pity that you won´t have enough time to go by ferry to the Anatolian side, for example Kadiköy.

You will not have much time on Dec 22.

If your flight is at 1.30 you have to go there at least at 12:00, the taxi takes about 1/2 hour (11:30).

If you have an early breakfast you have perhaps 3 hours to spend, but I have no idea what you would like to do.

You can cancel Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque on Dec 20 and instead of this you can take a ferry to this nice village with a lot of shops and cafes.

And then you can visit both sites on Dec 22 morning.

But I´m sure there are some posters who have better suggestions for you, especially for restaurants at Kanyon Mall and Clubs.

Have a very nice trip and please tell us about your travel experiences when you are back.

Patara01

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Thank you Patara for your kind suggestions.

I am going to print it out. I think it makes sense to visit Sophia and Blue Mosque on Dec 22 so we can utilize those few hours.

Yes, We will go on ferry on 21st.

thanks again for the valuable info.

praveen

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Any nice place for dinner on 19th near Grand Bazaar?

thanks

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Hi psharma,

Albura restaurant at Sultanahmet for the 19th and Litera restaurant (www.litera.com.tr) at Galatasaray/Beyoglu would be a good choice for you. Litera is accross from Galatasaray High School, 200 meters off on a side street. They have fantastic views. Here is a link for some restaurants...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k8938…

For Kanyon Mall, take the subway from taksim and get off at levent stop.kanyon Mall is connected to the metro station. Have a look at http://www.kanyon.com.tr/

At the mall you can eat at Konyalı and don't miss the delicious desert place Saray Muhallebicisi.

happy travel

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Thank you engima.

We will go there for dinner on 19th.

praveen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Your daughters would enjoy Ortakoy by the bosphorous, it is a pedestrianized area under the bosphorous bridge with food and craft stalls, cafes, bars, restaurants where a lot of young (and old) people sit out, strall and spend their weekends. For a nice meal, go to House cafe there, not a formal restaurant but very eclectic and great views and crowd. Day, evening or night Ortakoy is busy.

Also at night Asmalimescit area near Tunel in Beyoglu (Istiklal street) is great with seafood meyhanes, cafes, bars, somewhere where the whole family can enjoy.

For clubs, 360, Reina, Cahide, Al jamal, Ulus 29 would be enjoyable by you and your daughters, you can go for dinner and can stay, they are very trendy but also very expensive.

Kozano

boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Thank you Kozano, will make a note of these suggestions.

praveen

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

While I would probably make a drug store one of my first stops in Istanbul, I do not think it is a high priority for you. You will only be spending a few days in the city, and given your choice of restaurants, I do not think there is a high probability that you will need it.

Lomotil is not available OTC in the US. I have been recommending it on the forum for quite some time. It has occured to me that I should probably include a little more information about the drug, so I have started a new thread which you should probably read.

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

Hi, we just got back on December 5th from Turkey, with our last 4 days in Istanbul. I have a couple of suggestions. First, I would avoid the Konyali restaurant at the palace. If this is the last stop for you in the palace, you would be better off at one of the streetside cafes that are close by, including one on the walk path to Topkapi Palace. The food at the Konyali was bland, soggy and waaay overpriced. We got two tasteless sandwiches, cold soggy french fries, a small bowl of tasteless fruit pieces and two cups of tea, all for the princely sum of $50!

Next, when you are at the Spice Market, close to the entrance is a seller of Caviar and spices, and the stand is called Topkapi, just like the palace. We sampled some wonderful caviar, gray colored and not very salty., and bought 200 grams in a sealed tin for 140 Turkish Lira. When we got home, and opened the tin, we were sold an inferior product, different color, taste and extremely salty. Very disappointed.

Early in the morning is the best time to go to the Grand Bazaar. Few customers, especially at this time of year, and as the first customer to go by these vendors, they really want that first sale of the day for "good luck" So the deals are better in the morning.

We really loved Istanbul. So much history, and antiquities everywhere. Public transportation is good, although taxis can try to take advantage of you. If you are paying for a taxi fare, and you need change, don't hand your larger bill to the driver first, he could palm it and say you gave him a smaller bill. Do a simultanious exchange of bills.

Have fun; we sure did!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just 3 more days-till we leave_WOW

I was very surprised to learn of an unsatisfactory meal at Konyali. We had a fantastic meal consisting of three courses and beverage for under $10/person. We were with a Turkish friend who functioned as a guide for us, and I know he negotiated the price of our meal. Maybe this is one of those occasions where a guide is really worth the price.