We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,840 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Hi Forumites,

Now that we are entering a new year with a lot of new hopes and intentions, I wanted to share with you some of the highlites of year 2007 for the Turkish Tourism Sector.

In 2007 23 million tourists visited Turkey. This recorded an increse of 18% in number of tourists over the previous year. The forecast for 2008 is 26 million tourists visiting Turkey.

The 23 million tourists spent about 18 billion USD in Turkey in 2007. The forecast earnings for 2008 is 20 billion USD.

In addition to the foreign tourists, 10 million Turkish citizens went on a vacation in Turkey.

Istanbul was visited by 7 million tourists in 2007. 8 million torists are expected to visit Istanbul in 2008.

North Americans (Canada and U.S.) visiting Turkey increased by 25% during 2007.

Turkish airline industry carried over 30 million passengers in 2007.

The appreciation in the value of YTL vis a vis USD unfarovably impacted tourism in 2007.

The sales tax on hotel rooms and restaurant meals was reduced from 18% to 8% starting January 2008. This will hopefully give a break to hoteliers and restauranteurs so that they can keep their rates under control, and still increase their earnings. This reduction in taxes will naturally benefit all incoming visitors.

Hoping for another record year in 2008, I wish you all a very healthy and happy new year.

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

That is such good news, Turkey is a very special country, they deserve to do well, such a super friendly place to visit, cant wait to return, roll on summer. Happy new year to you all.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,839 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

wonderful news and thanks for sharing :=))))))

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,840 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Hi folks,

The latest update on Turkish tourism industry is positive. In spite of the worldwide depression, in the first 7 months of 2009, the number of tourists visiting Turkey increased by 1.1% whereas during the same period the same number decreased by 8.6% in Greece, 7.7% in Egypt and 5.5% in Spain. Around the Mediterranean basin, Turkey is the only country where the number of visitors has increased.

Germans, Russians, British, Bulgarians and the Dutch, in that order, are the greatest number of visitors to Turkey. Whereas the number of visitors from all of Europe increased by 3.3%, the number of visitors coming from North America increased by 13.8%, during the same period.

What makes me wonder is why our French friends cannot find a place for themselves in the top 5 rankings of our guests we welcome to Turkey?

enigma...

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Lol, Enigma I spend a lot of my life in Turkey , so do many of my friends.I fly TK , planes from Paris are always full, more french than turkish.May be they just forgot to count them.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Oh Emma, I cannot believe anyone would forget to count the French!

Really great news about the increased percentages from North America.

Turkey is really a travel bargain in these difficult economic times.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

that is great news.so few of my friends have ever been to Turkey,despite the fact that I tell them to go. I hope to get back soon,and take a gulet cruise along the Turquoise coast. that is something I have been dreaming of doing for a long time. cok guzel!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

Great news.

I hosted 20 of my art museum docent friends last weekend at our local Turkish restaurant (pretty yummy) and answered a lot of questions about Istanbul travel. Hopefully, a few will visit.

BTW, I ordered massive amounts of cold appetizers so at least some of the men tried something different than lamb chops!

8. Re: News from Turkish Tourism Industry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 13:16