We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Hi all,

this is a regularly returning question on the Forum, so I thought it would be nice to start a thread and everybody adds to get a nice full list!

When I travel to family and friends and look for presents I love to visit the Grand Bazar.

Always a hit are Turkish key-rings, hand made jewelry, lamps and t-shits.

For touristy t-shirts 2 favorite ones are the "Turkish Tea Shirt"

and the "Raki" t-shirt. Normal tshirts that go well for a present are the ones with the word 'Istanbul' prints from Mavi, or the ones from Ottoman Empire in Kanyon Mall:

www.ottomanempiretshirts.com/html/index.htm#

This is a start, hope you all add stuff!

Cheers

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

I've found that the Brass Turkish tea trays (the kind you swing) with the tea glasses & saucers are a big hit. Everybody also seems to love the Turkish olive oil soap and kese mits. Also Turkish coffee pots, brass coffee grinders and coffee sets. And I always throw in a miniature wall hanging with an evil eye on it...very inexpensive, but they look guite nice and colorful on a small empty spot on the wall. (Plus, I want all the recipients of my gifts to be protected! LOL)

Jo

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,169 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Don´t forget the pashminas!

You can get them in different quality and in countless pattern and colours.

It is a nice present, and you can put it into your luggage without problems:-)

Another welcome present are spices, as pepper,safron, aso. And everytime we are in Turkey we buy some pine nuts, very fresh and much cheaper than in germany.

At the Arasta Bazaar (and in other shops) you will find very nice ceramic, my favoutite is a blue-green style.

A rug would be a pretty expensive present but there are nice pillow cases and table clothes,inexpensive touristy products and more expensive handmade products.

Happy shopping

Patara01

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Mavi jeans have very witty t-shirts relating to Istanbul and you can buy them at the Ataturk airport so you can do a last minute shopping and use the space in your suitcase for useful things for yourself such as Turkish Delight and the 20th pashmina :-)

Kozano

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,169 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

I remember that there is a Mavi shop at Istiklal Caddesi?

I fear we will not have the time for malls but this would be a good chance for my daughter to buy a shirt or jeans there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

We brought back Turkish Apple Tea from the Spice Bazaar which went down very well, as well as the evil eye key rings already mentioned and, of course, proper Turkish Delight. My son loved the embroidered fez hat which we bought for him at the airport on our way home - we never thought he would wear it, but he does.

I still wear my Istanbul t-shirts with pride!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Bumped up for Halavah

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

In addition to all of the above, I bought quite a lot of silver jewellery for presents. The mother of pearl and amber are very pretty ...and easy to carry home

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,169 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

Silver jewelleries are a passion of me too.

And my daughter was always very happy about these nice presents.

And I think you can buy it for a reasonable price.

And I have to admit that in our first years at Turkey we bought a lot of waterpipes for our children and their friends, tons of waterpipes.

And one time they opened our luggage at the airport because they couldn´t identify the tinfoil roll with the special pieces of coal:-).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

My vote: the leather purses in vibrant greens and teal. Nothing like them in the states (that I've seen). Also, carpet purses and bags. I love mine!

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
745 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to buy, suggestions for presents.

I always buy turkish delight and maybe apple tea for adults. For the many little girls in my family and freinds the turkish dress costumes have proved a massive hit.