We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family hotel in Dec

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
family hotel in Dec

Our trip is finally coming together. Will need a hotel in Istanbul for 3 nights in late Dec for me, husband and two teens. Friends we are meeting there recommended staying in Sultanahmet or Taksim areas. I would like to be in Sultanahmet area I think as we are more interested in historical sites than nightlife.

My husband and I are tall and generally need a queen bed, but it appears most local/nonchain hotels only have doubles so if you know a hotel with king or queen beds that would be great.

While I prefer one room for all of us, I might consider a suite or two rooms.

Thanks for any recommendations

Beth in Dallas

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family hotel in Dec

Hi Beth,

Check out the family room at the Alaturka Hotel in Sultanahmet. I haven't stayed there, but it has very good reviews on TA. Their family room has a queen-sized bed with two twin beds in another room:

http://www.hotelalaturka.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d609690…

Jo

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family hotel in Dec

Osumom - thanks! I'll check it out. It sounds like just what we are looking for.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family hotel in Dec

One of the reviews mentionned the family room is on the street and noisy plus several mentionnned the loud call to prayer at 5:30. However the winter prices on the website were very reasonable and the rooms & baths look great. Maybe we could get 2 rooms on the garden side - the kids would love their own room.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,440 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family hotel in Dec

Please have a look to Sebnem Hotel.They have gone up a bit with their rates but in winter time they will offer reasonable rates too, I suppose.

It is very close to Alaturka, in the same area, but in our case it was not noisy at night. And in winter time I´m sure there will be no "party noise" from hostels or people sitting outside, lol.

The prayer call you will probably hear all over Istanbul, there are hundreds of mosques.

Sceaux, France
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family hotel in Dec

Hi Bethtex

last year I stayed in sultanahmet,when I saw ALATURKA I thought " this one looks nice" I entered , asked if I could see a room and I did.It is just lovely, I'm sure you will like it.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family hotel in Dec

Just adding my opinion that there should not be a tremendous amount of street noise. Sultanahmet gets quiet early in the evening, and I am confident that it will be quiet in December. As for the call to prayer, I would try not to miss it myself. We always leave our window open, even when it is cold, so we do not miss those first notes in the predawn minutes. It is part of the charm and mystique of the city. In December I would listen to the prayer call, roll over in my cozy bed and go back to sleep, knowing that my immediate world is in control of those who are much more faithful than I am.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family hotel in Dec

thanks for all the great advice on hotels.

Orent Express looks good and kids would like the pool, but they would require us to get 2 double rooms at 109Euros/night each. Sebnem Hotel has a nice family room for 120Euros. I am waiting to hear back from Alaturka, Ada, Romantic,& Ilkay hotels.

I'll post back any other quotes I get so other families can benefit.

Right now, I am thinking the Sebnem looks good for the price and the family room really does sound good for us.

Beth in Dallas

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family hotel in Dec

Hotel Alaturka gave us a price of $200 per night for family room which looks really nice. But said we could have triple room with extra bed for $150 per night. They said we could reserve with a credit card and then pay in cash when we get there.

Has anyone seen the triple rooms in Hotel Alaturka? Is there enough room for an extra bed and we can still walk around? Do payment terms sound reasonable/normal? I'm leary about giving out my credit card but they say if we cancel 3 days before our reservations there will be no charge and will charge for 1 day if cancellation is later.

Sultanahmet Suites has a suite for 120 Euros per night. Does not incl breakfast but does incl airport pickup, which I'm not sure we'll need as friends may pick us up.

The other hotels I have emailed have not responded.

Right now I'm thinking we'll get the triple at Hotel Alaturka if someone who has been there says it is big enough. Otherwise, the family room at Sebnem Hotel seems the next cheaper/bigger option.

I welcome any advice from those who have been there.

Beth in Dallas

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family hotel in Dec

Hi Beth,

Payment terms for Hotel Alaturka sound reasonable, and it's perfectly normal for a hotel to ask for your credit card information in order to hold a room for you. As for the size of the triple room, I can't say. Alaturka's rooms are supposed to be larger than most, but getting four beds into any hotel room in Istanbul (or anywhere in Europe for that matter) would seem like a tight squeeze to me.

Hopefully someone who has stayed in a triple room can verify that.

Jo

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family hotel in Dec

Beth, I would not worry about giving my credit card number to any of the hotels you have discussed on your thread. It is no different than giving your credit card to a hotel in the US to hold your room.

Just like hotels in the US, hotels in Istanbul have to have some type of guarantee that someone will occupy the room they have reserved for them. If something were to happen I am confident that the hotel would honor their cancellation promises.