We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul here i come

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
2 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul here i come

dear all, i will be travelling to this wonderful city at the beginning of August with my 3 teenagerers (2 girls and 1 boy) I would be very grateful for advice on clothing, what i should take (essential items), etc. i will be staying at the Apricot Hotel for 2 weeks. I need to be able to take the kids out to places that are reasonably priced, places to eat, beaches, fun places, are there any theme parks? i would like to thank everyone in advance. many thanks Sodium

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul here i come

ahad - please post a trip report when you get back. Will be travelling with pre-teen & teen in Dec. I looked up the Apricot and it looks good so I inquired about price and availability for our trip as well.

Have a great time

Beth in Dallas

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul here i come

Dear ahad,

Istanbul will be hot in August. Your summer clothes will be fine. Everything you need can be purchased in the city so do not bring anything extra. I personally am in favor of light travel always. I am sure others will comment on the clothing issue in detail.

Istanbul itself is like a theme park with different attractions at every corners. I am not going to comment on the absolute "must sees" like Blue Mosque, Saint Sophia, Topkapi Palace, The Hippodrome, Baslica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Museum, Arcxheological Museum, Galata Bridge, Spice Bazaar, Galata Tower, Taksim/Beyoglu walk and shopping, Bosphorus Ferry Tour, etc.

For those who are staying two weeks like yourselves, there are other attractions which become additional "must sees". These are visits to Ortakoy Village on the Bosphorus, taking a ferry trip to Buyukada(Princes Islands), a visit to Miniaturk Theme Park on the Golden Horn, a ferry trip on the Golden Horn, a walking discovery visit to Kadikoy on the Asian Side, a visit to Eyub Pierre Loti Cafe on the Golden Horn(could be combined with the Golden Horn Ferry trip), a visit to Istanbul Modern Museum nd its wonderful cafe/bar at Karakoy, a fish dinner at Kumkapi not far from Apricot Hotel, a visit to Kanyon mall for shopping and architectural sightseeing, a visit to Nisantasi for dinner, a trip to Maiden Tower on the Bosphorus for incredible photo opportunities, a Turkish fasil dinner at a Turkish Meyhane at Nevizade Street at Beyoglu/Taksim, a visit to Chora Museum at Edirnekapi and lunch at Asitrane Restaurant, a Fener-Balat walk along the Golden Horn, dinner and dancing at the magnificent Sortie open air night club on the Bosphorus at Ortakoy, a visit to AGVA on the Black Sea coast for beaches and wonderful sightseeing, and finally a visit to the Rumelihisari Fortress on the Bosphorus combined with a visit to Sabanci Museum and a lunch at the Muzedechanga museum restaurant with magnificent views of Bosphorus. I guarantee you that you have time for all of these if you use your time wisely. Out of all these activities here are some links for you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1844…

http://www.miniaturk.com.tr/eng/default.asp

http://www.agvarehberi.com/index_en.php

http://www.sortie.com.tr/

good luck,

good

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul here i come

Hi ahad,

In the previous post I forgot to mention Dolmabahce Palace as a "must see". BTW Topkapi Museum and Topkapi Palace are the same although they were mentioned separately.

cheers

london
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul here i come

I am overwhelmed by the amount of detailed information you have provided many thanks. i will use this information to plan my itinary. once again many thanks

southampton,uk
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul here i come

Look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Never been like You but me and a mate plan on going there.

Everybody I've spoken too who's been to Istanbul was impressed!

DAVE R

SOUTHAMPTON

UK

6. Re: Istanbul here i come

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 15:17