We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

I hate asking this because it is so cliche, but with all the recent events in Istanbul, is it safe to travel. I will be travelling with my young nephew and more worried about his safety than my own.

Thanks!!!

florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Hello Iowa,

There are dozens of replies to your question on several earlier posts. Search under the names Docterwho and Atlanticcoast.

You'll find that virtually all responders suggest that there's little reason to be concerned, that Istanbul "is as safe as anywhere else," that no place is completely safe, etc etc. The kind people on this forum (and they really are, and very very helpful) are all Turkey afficionadoes, though; they love the country and its people. And there's more than a little of the politically correct thing coming into play also (as no doubt it well should; "pc" imo is more a good thing than a bad). In short, take a look at all the "answers," and see if that assuages your fears. (Some of them seem ludicrous to me-- well-meaning, for sure, but really quite silly.)

We've decided to go ahead with our planned trip. But I'm willing to say that I absolutely feel less comfortable now than before those two recent incidents. (Plus I've never been completely comfortable with visiting a country which, its "secular" label notwithstanding, has such prominent visual and auditory evidence of religiosity.)

Happy and safe travel to all of us!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

İ am a British citizen living in İstanbul and my advice would be to use the same rules of caution as you would in any big city in the world.İf you are concerned about anti American hostility please don't be.You are a guest and a tourist.Turkish people are famous for their hospitality to visitors and as a tourist you're spending money-they want to earn a living-end of story.So long as they can earn money 99% don't care what country it originated from.İ worked for 10 years in the tourist industry here and if İ truly thought you had cause to be concerned over and above the 'norm' then İ would say so(bearing in mind your little travelling buddy.).Sadly no country is free from terrorist problems but don't let it stop you enjoying your holiday.Carry your bag cross ways over your shoulder with the clasp inwards and not too much cash at one time.Not too much flashy jewellery and be polite but firm with anyone who trys to pester you.A firm no thank you is usually enough.Turkish people love children so don't be surprised at the attention your nephew will get.Your hotel staff will be able to give you advice about the area just around the hotel i.e. safe streets/not after dark streets etc.Most of all have a lovely holiday is this amazing city.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

Hi Iowacorn, I am sure that Des Moines seems much safer to you than does Istanbul. There are several elements that create that perception. The first is that Istanbul is huge! With a population of some 15 million, there are bound to be a few with criminal motives. Just be smart, as you would be when you are in NYC, or the Iowa State Fair. Others have told you what to do and what to avoid. Big city = more people = greater opportunity for property crimes.

As far as recent terrorist activities are concerned, no one can guarantee that anyone is safe from this type of event. You just have to personally evaluate your exposure to risk and you willingness to accept that risk.

We are going to Turkey next month, and plan to be there for nearly two months. The city where we live in the US had 13 homicides last week, 86 victims of criminal assault and 3 people killed by police action. In addition, there is at least one person killed somewhere in our city on the highway every 24 hours. We think our greatest risk in our trip, in terms of raw statistics, is the drive from our home to the airport.

While I understand Nancyflorida's hesitancy, I do not share it. I guess that at some point right after 9/11 I made a decision to live my life as I wanted to live it.....and that is a life based on measured risk. I am not going to visit the border between Turkey & Iraq, nor am I going to pop over to Iran for the day. I am not going to drink too much late at night, wander down dark streets or accept invitations from strangers. I will leave my better jewelry at home, and carry no more than $100 worth of cash at any time.

My greatest fear here in the US is a traffic accident, and my greatest fear is Istanbul is also a traffic accident either in a taxi or walking about as a pedestrian. You will never be 100% safe, but statistically there are many, many places much more dangerous than Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Perfect answer Busy retired....to visit any major city in the world there are the same obvious do's and don'ts.Use the same sensible judgements that you'd would use in a big city at home and don't allow the terrorist minority to dictate your lifestyle.Hope you enjoy your visit to Turkey.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
137 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Thank you very much for your thoughtful replies. I really appreciate it. We are planning on being there towards the end of November and very much looking forward to the trip. I am sure I will be posting again wanting to know what is truly worthwhile to see.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

I am glad that you have not changed your plans. Istanbul is truly an enchanting city, and almost everyone on this forum has a special passion for her. Feel free to return any time for answers to questions. Of all the many travel resources I have ever used to plan hundreds of trips, this forum is, by far, the best resource I have ever used.

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:16