We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food and beverage in istanbul

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
food and beverage in istanbul

We are going to Istanbul for the first time next April for our 20th wedding anniversay and cruising the Med after. I read that you cannot drink the water, even in the hotels, but only bottled water. Does this mean you cannot drink the coffee or tea? What about the food? What can or cannot you eat over there? I don't even know what turkish food is, other than kebabs. I just don't want to take a chance of getting sick while on an 18 day vacation. Any and all suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
YYC
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

You should be fine with coffee/tea in hotels and restaurants. Re: not knowing what Turkish food is - do some research. Go to the library, search on the net re: food, customs, sites etc. There are several good sites on the net. By doing some research you will get much more out of your vacation. Enjoy.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

look on the threads on this forum and you will see the most yummy foods mentioned....imho - turkish food is the BEST in the world and therefore you will have an enrichened experience if you take the time to search out the authentic turkish dishes and cuisine. Tea and coffee are all fine - basically coz they water is boiled - just use bottled water for drinking - cleaning teeth is fine in ordinary tap water - ice cubes are fine. The water is perfectly safe - just of a different 'mixture' to what some of our namby pamby westernised stomachs are used to!

Enjoy!

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

hi sun_e,

tab water in istanbul is healthy, it just does not taste good, so we locals drink bottled water, too. but no harm done using the tab water for coffee, tea or cooked food.

i, too, recommend that you make reseach on the net first. istanbul is a magnificent city with so many different life styles. you can eat sushi at an exclusive japanese restaurant or doner at a corner shop. it all depends on what you like and what you do not. turkish cuisine has too many varieties, you will definitely find something you like and will not make you sick. i am sure fellow forumites from the states will give you some good advice.

good luck

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

Hello

jusdt like FAED said, Turkish food is very good (maybe not the best, there is French food before (-;. Turkish food is made with very good and fresh vegetables, and with grilled meat with some kind of sauces.

I ve been seven times in Istanbul, I drunk many teas and coffee, and never had a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

There is no problem with food in Istanbul. We drink bottled water because our digestive systems are not accustom to the local water, but we drink hot beverages made with regular water all of the time.

I believe produce is safer here in Istanbul than it is in the US. It certainly tastes better. I have had the most amazing tomatoes since we arrived. I think they come directly from being ripened on the vine to my breakfast and dinner plate.

The advice to read a bit on Turkish cuisine is excellent. It is one of the great cuisines of the world, and you will find some dishes like those in the middle-east, as well as pasta dishes unique to Turkey, and a plethora of vegetables and fish. You will not go hungry in Istanbul. My husband does not care for lamb, but still finds something at every meal that is tasty and satisfying.

Just to be safe, I always get my family doctor to write a prescription for Cipro so I can take it if I really come down with some stomach ailment. You can also go to the local pharmacy (Eczane) and purchase some Lomotil. It is a prescription drug in the US, but is sold over-the-counter in Turkey. It works very well at relieving any stomach distress.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,866 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

Hi sun_e1954,

Mr. FunSacramento brought to light a very important travel article from L.A.Times. Since it is about Turkish Cuisine, I am repeating the link here:

…latimes.com/articles/la-tr-istanbul21-2008s…

Peggy, your energy and dedication to help our forumites even in the midst of your own travels is amazing, and we are all grateful for that. Thank you.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

Just want to agree with the general sentiment on this thread – the food in Istanbul is wonderful. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I visited but I was delighted, as was my wife who can be quite fussy. We enjoyed going to the self-service places and small cafés where the locals go, since we can’t speak the language we just pointed to the dishes we wanted and it was all very good, even if I can’t remember the names of a lot of the stuff we tried. I had one of the best desserts of my life in a café in Taksim Square. And we loved the tea too, we brought some with us on leaving and are still enjoying it.

Istanbul is a wonderful city and the food is fantastic, so relax and enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Taksim Square
Taksim Square
2,145 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
8. Re: food and beverage in istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 22:19