We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tastes of Turkey I already miss

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Tastes of Turkey I already miss

I am still mourning Istanbul and find that nothing on my plate equals the wonderful foods of Turkey. These are the things I miss most.

Fresh orange juice! If you walk around the streets near Galata Tower you can find many stalls selling a huge glass for 1 lira. I wished I had consumed several gallons.

Pistachio meatballs! I loved them at Hamdi, but liked them even better at Ocean's 7 in Sultanahmet.

Yogurt! Whatever we purchase here in the US bears little resemblance to the rich and flavorful yogurt we enjoyed in Turkey. We really appreciate Enigma's introducing us to the added pleasures of powdered sugar.

Tomatoes! They are better in Turkey. Probably because they are picked vine-ripe from all those huge tomato farms along the Lycean Coast and shipped over night to Istanbul.

Kaymak! I cannot believe I have never tasted this delicious substance before. For those unfamiliar, it is similar to clotted cream you might find in the UK, and completely unlike any dairy product we have in the US. Thank you Villa Rhapsody for serving that delicious cream along with an amazing quince.

Demerhindi! Enigma introduced us to this ancient Turkish drink. It reminds us of a soda we bought at the drug store fountain as children. It was called Ironport, and we have missed it most of our adult lives. Demerhindi is just as good. You can taste it yourself in the little coffee shop on the bottom floor of the new mall with the little spice bazaar on the bottom floor. Istilane Park?? I know that is not quite right, and I cannot find my journal. I believe we also enjoyed this beverage when we dined at the residence of the Governor of Egypt.

Kalibut Basti! This is my husband's new favorite dessert. Again, Enigma introduced us to this delicious dessert at his own dinner table. Now we have a recipe we are going to try to duplicate it here.

Apple Tea! OK I brought some home, but it does not taste quite the same in my breakfast corner as it did in tulip glasses in Turkey.

Salip! Brought some of that home as well. It is good once you kind of forget what it tasted like in Turkey.

Chicken! Chicken in the US just does not taste like chicken in Turkey where it is flavorful and tender. Perhaps it is a difference in the way poultry is raised?

Whatever sauce Canmom's husband Saban puts on his luncheon pasta. I ate it every day while we were at Hotel Canada and I could still eat it every day. Would he share the recipe?

I miss many more tastes of Turkey, but I have to stop because I am making myself too hungry.

What other tastes do you love?

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

I have never in my life drunk tea before (i'm nearing my 40's so no spring chicken). First time was in Turkey in September. I loved it, brought some back and have now run out.....heeeeelllllpppppp.

nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

Here is some support info for BR.

demirhindi is the made from the plant of tamarind (from which various asian cuisines make cooking sauce).

The dessert is Kalbur Bastı.

Salep is made from some kind of orchid root.

And LondonDee, I can only guess you meant apple tea. Otherwise what you said would be too weird for a Brit.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

I miss all the things you do, BR (except Salip). Plus delicious fish, Enigma's Sultan's Delight, rice pudding, simit, and of course...RAKI! Like you, I could go on and on...

LondonDee, you more than likely have a Turkish market somewhere near you, but if you don't and are really craving apple tea you can always order it from Tulumba. Here's the link:

http://www.tulumba.com/

Jo

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

I haven't try some of the listed as I don't like diary products in general but there are certainly many tastes i miss!

Nobody mentioned ice cream?! Mado... I even asked in one of their numerous cafes if there is a branch in Kazakhstan but no....

Boiled corn. I can get it in my city but not in October! As well as peaches and strawberry.

Kofte from Tarihi Sultanahmet Koftecisi. I think I won't be able to eat meat for a while knowing how it should really taste :)

I don't know the name of this dessert: walnuts placed on the pastry and covered with ... probably honey? Delicious!

And yes... fish and chicken...

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,153 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

Something I miss very much is the aubergine purree at Hamdi.

It was bright, made with garlic and perhaps cream, youghurt or cheese,very soft and creamy but spicy as well. Yummy!

I ate this dish at many places and it was always delicious but this one was simply the best.

Perhaps I should hire a spy to get the recipe,lol.

And the other recipe I would like to get is that one of a vegetable dish that was prepared by VR´s cook:-) I have forgotten the name of it.

There are so many dishes and tastes I miss, but I have noticed too that although we have many turkish shops in Germany the taste is different, I think it´s a matter of the atmopshere.

Now I will run to buy a cimit at least:-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

Forgot to mentions aubergine! It is one of my favourite vegetables and Turkish people know dozens of way to cook it! And surprisingly it has no bitter taste at all...

Now I wonder why there is no Turkish Delight shop in my city?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

NKT - Believe it or not as a brit I have never drank any sort of tea before Turkish tea!!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

What a wonderful experiences you share with us Peggy!

I am glad you did find the Sahlep in the end!

here is a picture of a wild orchid that its root is said to be used for sahlep and for mado icecream

flickr.com/photos/villarhapsody/469639174/

sorry it is a bit blurred!

And next time you come to Turkey Peggy, and you come close to Afyon, eat your kaymak there; it is absolutely the best.

And the Kalibut Basti, I go and try that one, I had never hear of it, thanks Enigma for the link!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

Oops, by the way Patara, I think what you meant was the Begendi Kebab or Ali Nazik. Both they are an aubergine (eggplant) based puree, with a beef or minced meat saute.

Delicious!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tastes of Turkey I already miss

O no of course not, you said vegetable dish, so then that was "Saksuka", fried aubergines and pepper, a tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes (tomato pasta is forbidden!) and a garlic yoghurt on top.

Cheers