We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilim- traditional designs

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Kilim- traditional designs

I leave for Istanbul in 2 1/2 weeks and very, very excited. Thank you to all the regular contributors for all your advice and tips. It is much appreciated.

I want to purchase a kilim and want something that incorporates traditional designs. Are there specific motifs associated? I have looked online to get a general idea, but I don't want something created for the tourists.

Similarly, any thoughts on Iznik tiles? I figured I would look at Topkapi and figure out what seems common.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Hi there, others may reply about kilims but you'll find plenty of traditional designs in Istanbul.

Iznik tiles have seen a revival in the last couple of years. To find the best examples of Iznik tiles at the hight of their perfection (15 - 16th century) you should go to Rustem Pasa Mosque : cambridge2000.com/gallery/…P40312860e.html

…wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCstem_Pasha_Mosque

Blue mosque has many Iznik tiles and you can get inspiration from there but actually this mosque was built at the end of the height of Iznik tile making and they are not considred the best examples as if you look carefully many are faulty and not top quality.

Iznik stopped producing tiles around 17th century and Kutahya started producing beautiful tiles. Iznik has seen a revival thanks to Iznik foundation and research done to re-discover the methods and designs and there is an Iznik shop in Kurucesme.

timeoutistanbul.com/p825/alisveris/iznik_cin…

Hope this helps.

Kozano

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Thank you for the information! What is the price range for tiles and kilims?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Hi there,

carpet and kilim designs are regional, it depends from which area in Turkey they are produced. If you find a good shop they can show you the different patterns. Walk around Arasta bazar and grand Bazar there are loads of carpet shops, usually the production is not specially for tourism, I only hear carpets shops owners complaining there is no business from tourism,

I have no real experience from buying a carpet in Istanbul though.

For tiles, again in the Arasta bazar and in the old part of the Grand bazar called Bedesten you will find the hand painted tiles, they do not come cheap.

The best place to buy them is in Kütahya, there are loads of shops along the road where they sell mass produced and hand painted tiles and pottery.

Sometimes they have little faults for a very good price.

Good luck!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Hi iowacorn,

Şişko Osman is a very well known rug and kilim dealer at the Grand Bazaar and he has a large kilim collection. There are many other excellent kilim stores in the area. Now some of the best websites on kilims from Turkey are the following:

http://www.kilim.com/shopping/kilim_rugs.asp

http://www.jozan.net/Rug-sites-Turkey.asp

As far Iznik tiles go, the best decorative Turkish tiles are made in Kutahya now. The best place to buy them is also from Kutahya, wherer there are numerous ceramics and tiles stores right on the main road. "Çini Pazarı" or Ceramics Market is one of the best places to get them.

good luck,

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Thank you for the websites. It has brought up another question- what is the difference between a kilim and a soumak?

Bursa, Turkey
Level Contributor
314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

hi iowacorn,

pera museum at tepebasi(next to italian consulate of istanbul) has an exhibition on kutahya tiles. you may want to visit the museum and have some idea on the traditional designs. the website is:

http://www.pm.org.tr/sergiler4_en.html

the address is:

http://www.pm.org.tr/iletisim_en.html

if you are staying in sultanahmet, you can take the tram and go to karakoy. from karakoy, you can take the metro called "tunel" and go up to istiklal avenue. the museum is a 10 mins walk from there.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Hi,a soumak is anothet type of kilim.A normal kilim is flat woven and is usually for floor covering or cheap seating covering.A soumak is embroidered and is generally of higher quality in both materials and workmanship and were traditionally used for the best rooms of the house and for covering more elaborate seating as well as for wall decoration.This is a very old type of kilim originating in the Persian area and central Asia,the patterns usually being tribal designs.They are seldom seem today because of the cost of labour to make them means they are expensive.Most are family heirlooms now.İ have seen some and they are lovely but you need deep pockets to buy one!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

Hi, glad you want to buy a kilim. I bought 7 while in Turkey a month ago. I bought them at all different places around the country. One of the best ways to learn about them for me was to go to one of the government sponsored weaving schools. They explained the process and were very glad to explain the meaning of all the patterns. I bought one to use as a wall hanging, one for a runner in my foyer, 2 for gifts and the rest, just because I really liked them and might never find any that I liked that well again. I spent approximately half of what they quoted as the price for each rug. My only problem turned out to be getting them home! I ended up buying a large suitcase and spreading all my belongins among that and my other smaller case that I had broght with me. It was much cheaper than shipping them home myself. If the shop had shipped them, it might have been cheaper. My kilims have all different designs and the shop keepers will explain them to you gladly. There are many old kilims available as well as new. One of mine is old and was used as a dining cloth for a large family. (Or so I was told).

Enjoy your trip! I know you will, its a fascinating place.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

superrn_98,

How much did you pay on average for your kilims? Also, any pictures? :)

Thank you!!!

Karen

10. Re: Kilim- traditional designs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 21:20