We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

I am travelling to Istanbul next week. I am buying myself a digital camera for the trip. Should I wait til I get to Istanbul to buy a camera and if so where would be a good place to buy one?

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

TechnoSA is a nationwide discount electrical retail chain with branches in virtually every district and shopping mall in İstanbul.You will find all major world brands on sale there.İ think you will probably find items like this will be cheaper than in Dublin.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Hi there, I am not sure if it is cheaper, but a good place to look is TechnoSa, or MediaMart. And as I have just returned from my daily shopping I saw Migros has a promotion on a Canon compact for only 180,00 ytl!

Of course, as the pound to the lira works out not so well recently, it could be more expensive in Turkey for you.

Good luck!

Hamburg
Level Contributor
363 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

I don't know for Dublin, but I was dealing in business with Media Market in Turkey and found that almost all their cameras we more expensive than in Germany. I would think you buy cheaper in Wetsern Europe.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

I agree, I do think that competition is higher in Europe, and prices are lower, so far my experience is that things with plugs and batteries are cheaper in Europe.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Hi SB

Don't think you would save any money, as getting one from the likes of Argos etc would be as cheap as anywhere.

Main thing to think of is warranty, would it be easy to get repaired etc later.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Dixons in dutyfree would probably be your best bet, electronics is not that cheap in Turkey.

kozano

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Lushballs,

like everybody else said above, I don't know the prices in Dublin but I'm not sure if you can find it cheaper in Turkey. There might be some discounts on certain models, especially on the older models because maybe they're going to launch new models so they might want to get rid of their older models in stock. Otherwise, since all these cameras are important and there are very high duties on electronics imported from abroad, probabily it won't be cheaper than in Dublin.

Of course you can check out the Teknosa (almost in every big neighborhood and in shopping malls), Media Markt (in Umraniye Meydan shopping mall and in Kozyatagi Palladium shopping mall, as well as in Avcilar district), and Electro World (in Astoria shopping mall). Ypu can also try Yalcinlar which is an electronics chain store in Istanbul (main store in Etiler neighborhood).

For my own experience, I found cheapest digital cameras in the US (B&H store in New York) and in Dubai.

Burak

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

Like everyone else, I believe that cameras are more expensive in Turkey. People ask us to bring them cameras when we come from the US because they are cheaper. I assume these people who live in Turkey, know the market and the exchange rate and know what is least expensive.

I really recommend buying your camera a few days before you leave for Turkey and then taking lots of pictures before your trip. It is a shame to waste precious vacation time trying to learn how to use your new camera.

9. Re: Buying a digital camera in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 03:19