We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul Trabzon by train

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul Trabzon by train

we would like to do this trip as much by train as possible - dont think train goes all the way to Trabzon

has anyone done this?

thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

Hi,

there isn't any railway to Trabzon. Therefore you have to take the train to Erzurum (Dogu Ekspresi - Eastern express) which departs from Haydarpasa train station in Istanbul. From Erzurum, you should take a bus to Trabzon.

This will be a long journey though.

Burak

turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

myself and friend (mature ladies) would like to travel from Istanbul across black sea to trabzon. Can we alight at different places and if so where do you suggest. we speak limited turkish but enough to get by. thanks chrissiep. my email is chrissiep136@hotmail.com

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

Hi Chrissie,

I assume that you wouldn't like to rent a car and drive, so then you have to do it by bus, therefore it will be a long trip. With a rental car it would be less hassle, but then you have to drive long distances on yourself. Anyway, here are my suggestions:

You can take a bus from Istanbul to Safranbolu and overnight (1 or 2 nights depending on your interest in the area). Besides Safranbolu, you can also visit Amasra nearby (taking a bus of course). Then, take a bus to Kastamonu and Sinop, Sinop is the most northern tip of Turkey. After Sinop, you can take buses following the Black Sea coast and stopping at various locations depending on your interests and to-do lists. Take a bus from Sinop to Samsun via Bafra (maybe overnight in samsun), and a bus to Amasya where you can overnight in old Ottoman mansions like in Safranbolu. Then back to the Blacksea cost and a bus from samsun to Trabzon (via Ordu and Giresun). If you like highlands, you can stop along the way and go a little bit inland on the high lands of the Black sea, and maybe overnight in small village pensiyons. In Trabzon you can visit Little Hagia Sophia museum and Sumela monastery, and go to Uzungol, Anzer and some other nearby highlands. You can also take a daily trip (or with an overnight) with local minibuses to visit other highlands a little inland such as Yusufeli, Savsat, Borcka, Karagol,Camlihemsin, Zilkale, Barhal, Dort kilise and so on, within the triangle of Rize-Artvin-Ardahan. At the end, you can take a flight from Trabzon to Istanbul.

Let me remind you again that all of the said above would be a hassle with buses, you should have lots of available time and patience. I would do this trip with a group (if there is any) if I were you or the best with a rental car if it was me. With a car you have of course several difficulties on the turkish roads, but you would be much more flexible and visit anything you like.

Good luck.

Burak

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

I agree with Buraksan on all accounts.

A ggood tour operator for the Black Sea region is Bukla Tours. Their web site appears in Turkish, but you may be able to find someone who speaks English if you send them an e-mail or call them.

JERUSALEM
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

Hello guys,

I am planning to come to Turkey by sea. I am not sure wether it will be to Mamaris, Antalya or Mersin.

How do I get from those places to Trabzon without flights and how long might it take?

Thank you so much!!

Adit

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

Trabzon is a long way from the southern coast of Turkey. I even doubt that there are direct buses from Mamaris, Antalya or Mersin to Trabzon. Probabily you should take a bus from these locations to a hub (such as Ankara) first and then another bus to Trabzon.. It means almost a couple of days on the road and many many sleepless hours :-)

Burak

Moscow
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

I am really sorry to disturb you. But please could anybody advise me the best way of getting from Trabzon to Nevsehir or Kayseri. Maybe there is a train. I have check the possibility to get there by air> but there is no direct flights.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

You could get a flight to Ankara from Trabzon - there are 2 daily by Turkish Airlines - and bus from there

Moscow
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

thank you. Is there any web sit I could check bus fares and timetable,

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Istanbul Trabzon by train

Try Metro:

…metroturizm.com.tr/metro/buy/Default.aspx

The fare is 20 lira and the journey is nearly 5 hours.

Why not ask the question on the Ankara forum?