We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WEST YORKS
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

Hi there, just wonder if anyone can help me. I was hoping to go for a Hamam whilst in Istanbul but wonder if with brittle bones and an already fractured spine if I should maybe give it a miss, if it is just a good old scrub then I could be Ok but I don't want to put myself in a position where, not speaking Turkish I wouldn't know how to stay STOP. What should I do - err on the side of caution???

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

Osteoporosis is sadly a condition as wide spread here as in europe so people do know what it is and know the problems.To err on the side of caution maybe skip the oil massage.As it is a tourism district the people working on the reception will speak English so you can explain to them your problem and ask them to tell the washers to treat you very gently.The word for gently or slowly is yavaş(pro yavash)and the word for stop is dur.The soap wash is usually only gentle and the scrub can be as firm or as light as you indicate to the washer,but speak to the receptionist first to alert the washers.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

Last time I went to one I was 14 years old. There are at least a few of them serving tourists, the attendents speak english too. At our around Sultanahmet they might be more expensive but clean and safe. (The scrubbing person most likely to be a man and they want tips! All normal, not to worry)

If you are staying in one of the 5 star hotels they have Hamam too.Ask you hotel they should be able to advise you something.

However my only concern would be, floors are wet and might be slippery, just be careful walking in and sit when you are in. It is an experience it is as hot as Sauna but wet and smelling soap.

Here is some help for you:

The following paragraph in Turkish says that you have medical conditions(spine and brittel bones) and you don't want any massage at all.

"Bel ameliyati gecirdim ve kemik rahatsizliklarim var onun icin kesinlikle kese ya da masaj istemiyorum"

The following paragraph in Turkish says that you have medical conditions and you only need very gentle massage scrub, specially no pressure on any part of your spine or back because you have a bad back"

"Disk kaymasindan bel ameliyati gecirdim, baska kemik rahatsizliklarim da var, cok hafif bir kese rica ediyorum. Lutfen, bel kemigime ve omuriligime baski yapmadan kese yapsinlar"

And STOP means DUR (reads as it is) ;)

Have fun!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

Thermal spas might be a better way to go. Hamams are wet and slippery. After the hamam, your body is like a rubber band. On the other hand, Turks will treat their conditions at a thermal spa, whereas tourists visit hamams. It's a very different experience.

turkey-travels.co.uk/turkish-thermal-spas.ht…

4. Re: Going for a Turkish Bath with Osteoporosis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 12:19