We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help in planning 2 weeks in Turkey

Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help in planning 2 weeks in Turkey

My friend and I will arrive in Istanbul on Saturday, May 30 for a 4 night stay there.

Can you advise, please on how we might best spend the remainder of our trip? We fly back to the US on Saturday, June 13.

We would like to visit Cappadocia. Should we fly there? and how many days should be devoted to the area, and what towns should we visit?

We also want to visit Ephesus. How may days? Fly/drive/bus?

Also, Izmar and surrounding areas.

We like museums, shopping for ceramics, tiles, jewelry. Also like taking mid-day or afternoon breaks for a wine and to people watch. I may want a massage. We don't want to feel like we're on the go constantly, but don't want to miss the must-see sites that Turkey has to offer, either.

Thanks to all who offer suggestions. I've enjoyed all the helpful comments that have been shared by others. This is a wonderful site with so much information by those in the know.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help in planning 2 weeks in Turkey

I spent a little over 3wks in Turkey last fall. Its an amazing country with so many sites, one can't possibly see them all in just a few wks.. but you are right to try to see what you can. If you can, spend more than just 4days in Istanbul. There is way more to see there than you can imagine. Flying to Cappodocia is probably the best for you in your time limit. I stayed in Goreme and thought it to be a good location. 3-4 days there is good. I also visited Ephesus and stayed in Selcuk, which is the town closest to Ephesus. That really only requires one day, and some people take a trip from Istanbul to visit there. Another amazing site is Pamukkale which isn't that far from Ephesus. They have a good transportation system in Turkey. Some of the forum regulars are better at the transportation info than I, I used buses, rented a car, and had some private transportation through friends. I did a travelblog with some info that you can read if you like at mytb.com/travelenrn. I also posted a lengthy review on here that you can probably find if you do a search. It was in Oct. that I posted it.

Whatever you decide, do your research before hand, take a good guide book and have a wonderful time. I sure did!

2. Re: Help in planning 2 weeks in Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 16:41
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question