My wife and I spent a wonderful short vacation in Istanbul in 1992, and have long wanted to return with our children. Next month we will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, and as luck would have it, both our kids will be on spring break that very week, so we have decided to celebrate by returning to Istanbul with the family. I have really enjoyed researching this trip the last few weeks, including many visits to this Forum.
I will have a few different questions, but will keep them each in separate posts for ease of reply. My first request is for a restaurant recommendation for the actual night of our anniversary. This is what I am looking for:
1) A really memorable restaurant either with great views or a distinctively Istanbul experience such as taking a boat to the dock of the restaurant.
2) Both my wife and daughter have asthma/respiratory issues, so we definitely don't want to be in a smoke-filled room. We would love a non-smoking restaurant (I know, fat chance before the new law actually kicks in) or at least a real non-smoking section. We will probably make very early reservations by Istanbul standards (6 or 6:30), so this may not end up being a big problem, but I would rather not take a chance.
3) Cuisine could be either modern Turkish or Ottoman - seafood and good veggies are our favorites, but would be open to first-rate meat dishes as well.
4) The children are 14 and 11, are very well-behaved in restaurants, and like all kinds of food, so no special considerations need be made for them.
5) We would like to go to a restaurant that locals would go to for a special celebration, rather than just a tourist restaurant.
I did take a look at the restaurant thread, but it seemed a bit dated, and didn't really address the smoking issue. Thanks, I look forward to the recommendations!