We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in istanbul (questions)

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
virginia, USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in istanbul (questions)

Hi,

I and my wife will be in Istanbul from April 8-12th. I have the following questions:

1. How is the weather? What kind of warm clothing do we need?

2. We plan to stay in Sultanahmet area. I am looking for hotels with best rooftop views/location. I am considering 2 nights in Sultanhan, followed by 2 nights in blue house or seven hills/dersaadet ....

3. Can we go to the Galata Mevlevihanesi whirling dervishes around this time (Thu, Fri or Sat)?

4. We are mostly vegetarians (eat only Chicken) ... any restaurant recommendations?

5. Is Kanlica yogurt available in Istanbul or do we need to go to Kanlica? Heard great things about it.

Thanking your responses in advance. Any other tips welcome.

Srini

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in istanbul (questions)

Hi hello srini,

1. Istanbul will have a nice spring at the beginning of April, but still might be cool at nights. Heavy spring clothes including sweaters, sports jackets and raingear, and very comfortable all weather walking shoes may come in handy. This year it is raining a lot in Istanbul. Here is a weather link: "weather.com/outlook/…".

2. All hotels you mentioned are similiar to each other and within 1 km of each other all in Sultanahmet. Whichever has the best reviews and rates offered should appeal to you. Blue House is the closest to Blue Mosque but might be more expensive. It has a nice terrace restaurant though.

3. Galata Mevlevihanesi is under restoration now. It might reopen by the time you come. You should check. Whirling dervish shows can also be seen at Sirkeci Gar (train station). Also you can enjoy "http://www.dancesofcolours.com/".

4. You can eat chicken or vegetable dishes at all restaurants in Istanbul. No need to be concerned. Try the very inexpensive steam table retaurants like Baran or Karadeniz Imren at Sultanahmet and Kadirga respectively. Check the "Restaurants Sticky" at the top of our forum homepage.

5. Kanlica Yogurt is available at large supermarkets in Istanbul. I buy regularly Kanlica yogurt from Migros supermarket.

good luck,

enigma...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in istanbul (questions)

just a tip..if you have time try and visit the Tulip Festival which is held in April in Istanbul and located in Emirgan.

Emirgan is famous for its seaside cafes and the large city park on the slopes behind it. The Verifier Yahsi (seaside mansion) on the shore and the pavilions inside the park that serve as cafes are examples of Ottoman architecture from different ages.

also try chicken döner or durum..great turkish fast food..and when it comes to foo ( dont get me started lol ) you wont have any problems..so many vegetable dishes to choose from..

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in istanbul (questions)

I am not sure why you would want to spend two nights in one hotel and then switch to a different hotel. It seems to me that the process of switching hotels just eats up valuable time that you could be using to see the city. Of course, there is absolutely nothing I hate more than packing and moving.

I have not been on the terrace of either Seven Hills or the Dersaadet, but the Blue House has a terrific roof top terrace. We occasionally go there just to take photos from the roof top. The owner of the hotel we do use always recommends the Blue House as the best place to go for terrace views. It appears to be a nice hotel - too expensive for our budget, but probably worth the extra money.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in istanbul (questions)

I visited Istanbul in april of last year and the weather was very warm in the daytime and chilly at night. but weather is somewhat unpredictable anywhere,so check www.weather.com. the tulip festival was ending when I arrived,and sultanhmet sqaure was still full of beautiful tulips and other flowers. I was there from april 11-21,stayed in a hotel in Sultanahmet. there are so many restaurants in sultanahmet,my favorite was on kucuk aya sofya caddesi,Aya sofya kepab restaurant,with grilled meats,chicken and vegetables. the hotel I where I stayed was the sarnic,with a great view from the roof,I saw the bosphorus,sea of marmara,the blue mosque and more.

5. Re: 4 days in istanbul (questions)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 06:33