We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ramadan

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ramadan

thinking of traveling round Turkey for a couple of weeks in September during Ramadan. Just wondering if anyone can inform as to how strictly it is observed in Turkey. Are the main attractions open and also restaurants. We will be travelling from Istanbul down to Fethiye. If Ramadan will be too restricting we will go later.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ramadan

From my experience of living here over 13 years now..in the touristic areas I cannot see nothing that will affect your travels or trip druing Ramadan...Not all turks observe the fast or traditions...and with arriving early every year by 10 days...it falls closer and closer into the touristic summer season...It is a wonderful time full of celebrations....all I can say is Go !!!..you wont regret it..

Here is a page that wil answer almost everything you want to know about travel during the Ramadan times in Turkey..just clink on the links I have provided..

turkeytravelplanner.com/Religion/ramazan.html

Travel in Turkey During Ramazan........

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Religion/ramazan_tra…

Plus there have been many previous posts on this subject...here are just a few..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1458…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k7068…

just type the keywords Ramadan in the search box and many replies will pop up

The Festival or celebration at the end of Ramadan is called Şeker Bayram . Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day.

All banks and government offices will be closed during the 3 day holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that buisness before hand.

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ramadan

thank you so much - that was very helpful

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ramadan

We spent the last two weeks of September in Turkey last year, permitting us to observe and participate in the Ramazan's festivities. The Hippodrome is transformed into a huge open air market, where you can buy a huge variety of foods and other products. Many Turkish families enjoy picnics here.

We had been warned that people who were fasting might be a bit more irritable, but we did not encounter any of this. People seemed even more generous, and there is a lovely festive attitude among the population. Not everyone fasts, but even those who do not seem extraordinarily generous during this holiday.

Nothing was closed during this period, although following Ramazan the three day Seker Bayrami results in the closure of the bazaars for a day. It also puts many more people in the roads, in the malls, and on public transportation. I still, however, would elect to go again because it is a very fun period of time.

The only other advice we received was to avoid eating in public during this period as it is rude to tempt people who are fasting. Since we never walk along the sidewalk and eat at the same time, this was never an issue for us. I did see people purchasing simit from the local pushcarts, and eating it as they walked, and no one seemed particularly upset about it.

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ramadan

thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply. That was most helpful and we will now go ahead and book our trip

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ramadan

I was in Turkey last year at just the same time as you plan to go this year. I was in both Istanbul and Fethiye over the Ramadan holidays. In Fethiye, I found that many of the shops outside the covered market area were closed during the last week of the holiday. Many Turkish families were on holiday in that area at that time too. Other than that, I found no problems with visiting that area during Ramadan. Just don't try to take a bus to Istanbul from Izmir the last weekend of the holidays! If you plan to fly between Istanbul and Fethiye, be sure and book your flights ahead of time as they fill up rapidly during this time. The price also goes up. But Fethiye was my favorite place besides Istanbul, Cappodochia and Cirali and Ankara...well you get the picture!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ramadan

Yes. It is important to make transportation reservations in advance. We even made reservations on the night bus from Goreme to Antalya because we knew how much Turkish people travel at the end of Ramazan.

We were only in Istanbul and Cappadocia during this period. Ramazan had ended before we got to Fethiye. There was nothing closed in Istanbul or Cappadocia.

I forgot one other thing to mention. Restaurants become very crowded as soon as the sun sets. We tend to eat much earlier than the average Turkish person, so we generally ate at our normal time between 5:00 and 6:00 pm. However, if you traditionally dine later in the evening, you might want to move your dinner time up a little to avoid the crowds. Every night about 30 minutes before sunset, the line for the little meatball restaurant in Sultanahmet was all the way down the street and around a corner.

There are very few prepared foods sold in Turkish supermarkets, but I did notice one rather new thing. The stores all had rather good sized boxes that contained all the ingredients for preparing that first meal. They were identified as Iftar kits. I do not know what they contained, but I assume that they might be popular with people who work all day and then have to come home and make the Iftar meal.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ramadan

We were in Istanbul and Kusadasi/Selcuk during Ramadan last September, and were able to enjoy the evening celebrations around the Blue Mosque and Hippodrome areas, with many families dining al fresco on the grass and in many of the "tent" restaurants set up around that area in the evenings. It was a delightful street fair party environment.

We stopped one afternoon to visit a friend of a Cincinnati friend of mine, who was expecting us to visit his carpet store in the Arasta Bazaar at some point in our several day visit to Istanbul, although our mutual friend had made it clear to the owner that we were not planning to purchase any carpets.

Well, when we arrived, he closed his shop door (a lovely store with cedar plant interior walls), put on his air conditioner, and then asked if we would like some Turkish coffee. I hesitated, and my savvy spouse (who does not ever drink American coffee due to his dislike of coffee), responded "thank you, that would be lovely", and the owner went to the small cafe just across the pedestrian way, obtained coffee (my first taste of Turkish coffee), and we proceeded to have a lovely 45-minute with this most hospitable man observing his fast. (He knew we were not purchasing any carpet, and made no attempt to sell us one.) It was a lovely break in our sightseeing day, and a wonderful chance to speak frankly with an Istanbul resident.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ramadan

Thank you for sharing that experience. Those are the events I cherish most about our travels in Turkey. It sometime seems as if no one has time to talk to you in the US. In Istanbul it is not exceptionally unusual to have someone close up shop and visit.

That has happened to us numerous times, including once in the Grand Bazaar in February, when the shop keeper actually closed and locked his door to enjoy a cup of coffee and a visit with us.

9. Re: ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 00:19