We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

giving out credit card details?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
452 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
giving out credit card details?

can anyone advise me about giving my credit card details to reserve a place in a hotel?

l have read previous posts abour potential problems and am also a bit concerned as l had an experience recently where ALL of my contact list on my hotmail account was stolen (disappeared from my account altogether) and each person was sent an email supposedly from me recommending an electronic company

so l am slightly anxious about giving credit card details by email

would it be any safer to use fax?

if l do it by phone would that be best?

please help!

thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: giving out credit card details?

My own personal feeling is that I wouldn't give my credit card details to anyone not by phone,fax or e mail.If you are making hotel reservations surely a fax confirming the booking should be sufficient.If necessary include your home and mobile telephone numbers and if they really insist you could send a deposit transfered from your bank to theirs.

Any hotel wanting my credit card details would be told a polite no thank you and I would book at another hotel.Too risky these days IMO.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: giving out credit card details?

Birdhovell, I'm going to have to disagree with Sari on this one. (Sorry, Sari!) There are very few hotels that do not require you to provide your credit card details when reserving a room, no matter what country the hotel is in. It's almost impossible to make a hotel reservation anywhere without doing so. As for the best way to provide that info to a hotel, that's a tricky question. I always send my credit card details via email, but that's strictly a matter of personal choice. You should choose the method you feel most comfortable with.

Jo

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: giving out credit card details?

I also meant to add that my credit card info has never been compromised by any hotel in Turkey that I've provided it to. My own personal opinion is that your credit card info is just as safe with a Turkish hotel as it is with a hotel in any other country.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: giving out credit card details?

Golly Osumom the world is a fast changing place!Long gone are the days when you just telephoned,reserved and turned up!The idea of giving my credit cards details though would make me feel uneasy though.I appreciate hotels don't want empty rooms but given the amount of C/C fraud these days surely there must be a better method.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: giving out credit card details?

I know what you mean, Sari...I remember those earlier days vividly. And yes, it is a bit nerve wracking having to give your credit card info out to so many places. But I understand that hotel owners need to protect themselves from all the no-shows, and I have no idea how else they could do it. I look at it this way...my credit card info could just as easily be misued by a shop, restaurant or anyplace else that I use it. It's a risk we all take in this day and age whenever we use credit cards.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: giving out credit card details?

Unfortunately, we are not able to secure a hotel reservation anywhere in the world we travel without providing credit card information (so that one night will be charged if we do not show up).

Fortunately, most of the hotels we have used have security on their websites (see the little lock that appears on your computer) so that I do not worry about privacy in communication.

In all other cases, I usually fax the information directly to the hotel because I indeed do worry about unsecured email communication.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: giving out credit card details?

A quick note about credit card protection: it's best *not* to email credit card information. Call the hotel instead. Email isn't secure and can be hacked easily. Thieves collect personal information this way. Sites should provide a secure server for online purchases/transactions.

Travelers need to assess the risk for themselves. But sending credit card information via email (unless it's secure email) is not wise. And unfortunately, the consequences for that decision may surface several years later.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: giving out credit card details?

As CintiAtty said, most hotels do have secure websites for making reservations. That's really what I was referring to when I said I sent I make my reservations via email...guess I should have said via the Internet (and not email).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: giving out credit card details?

osumom, just notice your new avatar; so cute!!

Secure server or fax, not plain email.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: giving out credit card details?

Thanks, Pam! Very poor choice of words on my part initially. I'm just so used to making reservations via a hotel's reservation website (which is usually a secure site) that I don't think twice about it any more and unfortunately referred to it as email (which as both you and Globe pointed out, is not a good idea).