We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My top recommendations in Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
My top recommendations in Istanbul

Hello there ! I am now in Assos...having spent a few days in Istanbul and a few more touring the rest in Turkey. Just want to give you guys some of my recommendations :

1. Hotel - we stayed in Dersaadet Hotel Istanbul. It is superb...near all the sites and fantastic service.

2. We went to Imbat Restaurant and Adonin restaurant...Imbat has great views and food and service. Adonin has the Testi(? ) kebabs which is a casserole they baked in a clay jar and they break the jar right in front of you with some aplomb...the dish is enough to feed 2-3 people.

4. We went to the mandatory Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque and Tokapi ( for Tokapi ..use the audio guide for 10 lira. We went with Insight travel and the guide was uninterested and barely spoke for a few minutes before sending us off to see inside the palace. We were very disappointed. However, we also the the Bosphorous cruise with Insight with a different guide and he was very engaging.) The Bosphorous cruise is a must.

5. You must try to go to the Archeological Museum near the Tokapi Palace. It is amazingly rich in artefacts. You can easily spend 3 hours there.

6. We went to Nardis Jazz Club. It is superb. If you like Jazz , you will love it.

All in all....we loved Istanbul and would totally recommend that one spends at least 3 days there.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Hi 12Flyaway,

Thanks for a trip report. Short but very informative. I sure am glad that you liked Istanbul very much. Come again for all those attractions you've missed.

enigma...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

12Flyaway, thank you for posting your Istanbul recommendations and congratulations on a lovely first forum post.

I too was very impressed with the Archeological Museum, particularly the Alexander Sarchophagus, and we enjoyed out time there so much that we ended up getting round up with some other visitors so the place could close for the day!

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Hi 12Flyaway,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Istanbul. Like Cinti_attorney, I too think the Archeological Museum is very impressive, so I'm glad you were able to fit it into your schedule.

Thanks for posting, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Jo

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Thanks for your report. I will definetly go to the Archeology Museuum next trip.

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Hi

where is Nardis Jazz Club ? I suppose in Beyoglu ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Nardis Jazz Club is near Galata Tower. Our hotel got us a taxi there..it is in some back alley, so you should probably take a cab. From Sultanahmet, the cab ride was 10 lira. The cover charge is 25 lira and the drinks are a little expensive but I thought they played jazz the way it should be played - with abandonment and soul. Not that I am an expert or anything :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Oh..I forgot to mention that amongst all the touristy seafood restaurant under the Galata Bridge, there is a local tea house that has the water pipes and if you want to try smoking some apple flavoured water pipe ( and why not, there is no tobacco in them) this is the perfect spot to do it. There were few foreigners there and you can have a glass of cay or tea and enjoy the view of the Bosphorous. We provided considerable entertainment to the locals there because we were hopeless at smoking the pipe....they had to come over and "recue" our pipe to keep it from er...extinguishing ? All in all ...once again proof that the Turkish people are very friendly - and not just the "Grand Bazaar friendly" either.

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Thanks, I like jazz, I may see this place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

beurier, if you like Jazz, Q Jazz club regularly have very decent Jazz performers as well. It is in Kurucesme, in the Les Ottomans hotel so a waterside location and beautiful views are a bonus. They have resident bands or performers earlier at night playing very decent Jazz. Then after 1 or 2 am they have other Turkish or international performers, these are not as hard core or traditional Jazz but usually very entertaining. I usually try to visit it every time I go to Istanbul. I would recommend an evening drink there, especially in the summer. (pretty decent wine list as well) This club started its life in Ciragan Hotel and been going on for years.

Kozano

Montbéliard
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My top recommendations in Istanbul

Thanks

So, they have Jazz Music every night, or only some nights ?