We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

revised plans (again!)

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
635 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
revised plans (again!)

I am hoping that this revised plan will be more do- able and also give us more time to look at the things we have chosen to see, people watch and potter along.

MOnday - arrive 3pm Bascilica cistern or hagia Sophia

Tuesday- Blue Mosque Grand bazaar beyazit square, Eygyptian bazaar, Chora church

Wednesday Topkapi palace, Mosaic museum, cavalry bazaar, Basilica cistern or hagia sophia.

Thursday Galata Tower ( or maybe go for dinner instead one night) french st, Taksim squar, istikal st.

friday - cruise.

Saturday potter and catch 4pm flight.

Any suggestions or changes feel free!

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: revised plans (again!)

First of all, Haghia Sophia is closed on Monday - so maybe do Blue Mosque and Bascilica Cistern then.

Tuesday is still very busy... By the time you get to Chora Church, it will take up around half a day. If you run out of time on Tuesday you could do the Spice Bazaar after your Bosphorus cruise...

birmingham uk
Level Contributor
635 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: revised plans (again!)

what time do the bazaars tend to shut?

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: revised plans (again!)

Spice Bazaar 7pm, Grand Bazaar 8pm. The Arasta Bazaar stays open a little later - 9pm I think.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: revised plans (again!)

Having said that, I am wondering if the Grand Bazaar is 7pm too.......

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: revised plans (again!)

Yes, it's 7 PM.

Babylon, New York
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: revised plans (again!)

I hope you're having as mcuh fun planning as I did....be warned however that the more you plan the more you will find that you want to do!! :>)

Monday - If you arrive at 3:00 you should be to your hotel by 4-ish, so go walk through the beautiful park, buy a sesame pretzel and go see the Cistern. Then go to the Blue Mosque - which should be beautiful ith the afternoon light. Afterwards, explore Sultanahmet a little, have dinner at a place experts here recommend and then explore the Arasta Bazaar (if you have any energy left.....)

OR Go to Cayaglu Hammam (which I highly recommend to relax after your traveling day!) and then have dinner

Tuesday: Be at the Grand Bazaar when it opens at 9amand expect to spend 3 hours at least (save the Egyptian Bazaar for your cruise day). then go to chora church for the afternoon. we didn't get there so I don't know what is to explore around it. If possible, get back to see the Aya Sofya in the late afternoon. An hour is enough to enjoy, unless you want to study it. I don't know about Beyazit Square - - what's there? Catch a cab to Ortokoy for dinner along the water.

Wednesday: Topkapi Palace - get there at 9:15 to avoid the entrance crowds - - if you don't do the harem you will have time to fully enjoy it in 2 1/2 - 3 hours (crowds become crushing after 11-ish, but you'll be ahead of them). Take the tram to the Galata bridge and have lunch on the bridge, then do go up the Galata tower - the view is spectacular

thursday: Mosaic Museum/Arasta Bazaar (they're right together), then Istiklal and sights nearby (we didn't get to do this but I'm experts will suggest!)

Friday: Egyptian market opens at 8:30 and cruise is at 10:15 - - an hour should be enough for the spice market, I think - - or you can save it for after the cruise.....

I left off a few things in your itinerary, as I hadn't heard of them, but I'm sure you'll be getting oher good advice as you pull yor trip togehter.

whatever you choose, you will have a wonderful time!

7. Re: revised plans (again!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 04:30